Author Topic: 4 hour EASY--when? and how?  (Read 2570 times)

Offline mdtaylor

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 29, 2007, 03:59:20 am »
I know the book says 4month-4 hour EASY, but I also know babies are all different.  How do I know if my DD is ready to move to a 4 hour EASY, and if she's ready, how do I go about moving her to that routine?

She used to sleep well at night, to bed by 8, DF at 11, BF at 3:30-4, then up for the day about 7:30, but the last week she's been waking a lot more during the night.  Her naps and feeds are basically  a 3 hour EASY, what they've been for the last 2 months, so I'm not sure why the difference at night.  She's 4 months old, so I wondered if she would do better on a 4 hour EASY, but I need help!
Thanks!

Edit:  I just found the FAQ on the 4 hour EASY and think maybe that is what's happening?  Any suggestions of how to make the 4 hour thing work?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 04:05:00 am by mdtaylor »

Offline *Mona*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 144
Re: 4 hour EASY--when? and how?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 10:24:43 am »
hi there and welcome :)

if she's napping and feeding well during the day, maybe it doesn't necessarily mean she's ready for 4 hrs EASY. don't you think it may be a growth spurt? or teething?

can you post your daily routine and how she acts when she wakes at night?

xxx
Monika
~Monika~

Maja - 6 yrs
Nina - 27.11.2012 :)

Offline mdtaylor

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 00:19:23 am »
Well, today's routine went:
wake at 7:30,
8-BF, activity (changed, jumperoo, tummy time, etc)
9:45-11 nap
11 BF, activity
1-2 nap
2:15 BF, activity
4-4:40 nap
5:30 BF, awake time
plan to feed at 7:30 and then do bed time routine
DF at 11

When she wakes at night she starts off grunting and moving around, and progressively gets upset until she's crying if I don't do something.  She will settle with a soother, white noise, and patting sometimes, but if it's been 3 hours or more since she ate then I have to feed her to calm her down.

I don't think she's teething yet, but I suppose it could be a growth spurt.

So, how do I know what the problem is?

Offline rebecaq

• Showing Appreciation 153
  • It's Naked Time!
    • Mac Homepage
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 01:06:02 am »
Hi,

Did you read this thread in our FAQ'S ?? Time to Transition

It has all the tale-tell signs of when babies are ready for transitioning and how to go about it.  In BWSAYP Tracy also goes into detail on how to do the transition  ;)

Hang in there

- Beca :-*
Beca - Momma of two Mini Dudes ;D
          Wife to the Big Dude ;D
[img=http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png]http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png[/img][/url][url=http://lilypie.com][img=http://b1.lilypie.com/P8R8m4/.png]http://

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 11:12:09 am »
If you don't think that your lo is quite ready for the 4 hour EASY, you could always consider transitioning to the 3.5 hour first and see how that goes.

Keep us posted on how you get on.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 19:43:30 pm by TOM TOM'S MUM »
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline Clarepie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 14:14:46 pm »
Hi,
I've recently been transitioning my 4 1/2 month old onto 4 hour.She had just started waking again at night,it had become habitual waking at 4:30.She had been sleeping through the night since 2 1/2 months .She had also started having 3/4 hour naps during the day,waking up tired and crying.So I decided it was time for the transition.It was difficult at first,the naps were still short,but she started sleeping through the night again and over the past few days has suddenly switched to having long naps,she does 2hours in the morning and her lunchtime nap is now extending to over 1 1/2 hours..so it has been a success.Give the transition a go..it is hard work but so worth it.

Offline AnnaBenwell

• Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 14:21:19 pm »
I have just done the same, taken2 weeks but today the naps are so much LONGER
Hi,
I've recently been transitioning my 4 1/2 month old onto 4 hour.She had just started waking again at night,it had become habitual waking at 4:30.She had been sleeping through the night since 2 1/2 months .She had also started having 3/4 hour naps during the day,waking up tired and crying.So I decided it was time for the transition.It was difficult at first,the naps were still short,but she started sleeping through the night again and over the past few days has suddenly switched to having long naps,she does 2hours in the morning and her lunchtime nap is now extending to over 1 1/2 hours..so it has been a success.Give the transition a go..it is hard work but so worth it.
:)
Mum 2 three Boys Jack, Sam and Harry

Offline *Mona*

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 15:49:02 pm »
so, mdtaylor, how are you doing today?
~Monika~

Maja - 6 yrs

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 19:47:17 pm »
Clarepie and AnnaBenwell, sounds like your lo's have done well with the transition, that is fantastic news.

mdtaylor - have you tried the transition?  If so how are things going?

Offline mdtaylor

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 21:50:57 pm »
So, I read the FAQ thing about the transitioning, and it suggests 3 days of observation and then start lengthening the A time in the morning, so for 2 days now I've been paying closer attention to her routine and we'll try it out.  The last 2 nights she's only waking every 3 hours, instead of every 1 1/2 -2, but she used to go 5 then 4! 

Thanks for the replies, I'll keep you posted.  I'm getting tired, so I sure hope it will work!
Oh, and I think she's getting a cold, so that may be influencing things!

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 21:56:42 pm »
Awww hugs.  Yes, the cold could definitely be effecting things.

Please keep us posted on how you get on xxx

Offline mdtaylor

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 22:45:52 pm »
Well, after a week of trying to gently move her to a 4 hour EASY, I had to work all day yesterday and left her with my DH, and he brought her at noon for me to feed, so she ended up doing 2 4 hour stretches and wasn't even complaining about being hungry!  Then, last night she woke up 3 times, but I only had to feed her once, the other 2 times she went back to sleep.  So maybe we're making progress!

My main concern is that I don't know if she's eating enough, as she only eats for 5-10 minutes, even after 4 hours!  I think she's just an efficient eater, but I wish I could know for sure that she's getting enough with the less frequent feedings!  (Yes, she does have good diaper output!)  She was at the 50 percentile mark for height and weight at her last check up, but she's only 12 lbs and so many other babies around here are huge, like 17 lbs already at the same age.  She would let me know if she was hungry, right?
Thanks!

Offline *Mona*

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 07:59:33 am »
while BFing I was never ever sure if my baby has had enough or not [well, except for the very early stage, when she was showing she's full very very clearly ;) ], but as I was reassured several times that fast eater usually means efficient eater and as long as my baby is gaining weight and producing diapers, I believed everything was the way it should be :)

the fact that your Lo is not feeding longer than 10 minutes, surely  means she's getting all she needs in this short time. I personally think it's a bigger problem when babies tend to feed fussingly for 40 minutes or longer....

and yes she would let you know if she was hungry :D

great it's beginning to work for you.
keep us posted

Monika
~Monika~

Maja - 6 yrs

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 21:30:59 pm »
I agree with Monika, your lo would definitely let you know if she is hungry

Offline mdtaylor

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 00:23:44 am »
It's working!  Well, it did last night anyways.  I did the DF at 11, and she ate at 2:45 and then I heard her moving around at about 6 but she went back to sleep on her own until 7.  Much better!  She's had good naps today, too, so we'll see how tonight goes.

Next Monday we go see the health nurse, so I'll feel better about her eating once I know if she's gaining weight.