Author Topic: More Catnap questions  (Read 832 times)

Offline pdebuys

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 26, 2007, 19:04:50 pm »
I have been following the catnap string, any updates on what worked or didn't for you?

My just 6 month has been refusing catnap the last week, now difficult with bedtime/eat routine

Solids he will take usually when I give them, 2 times a day  ( lately not wanting though)
A time 2.5 is pushing it a little already.

E: 6:30 (6-8 oz) ( give or take 30min)
S: 9:00 (1.5-2)
E: 11:00
S: 1:30 (1.5-2)
E: 3:00/3:15
S: Won't go down here at 5:30, have tried 5:45 even but then it gets too late
E: Try to give him bottle but he has a hard  time eating here (until right before he goes down 630 now, was 7:15 or so)
E: 10:30 DF (8oz)
WAKES back up 45min later b/c he is overtired having been up 3-3.5 hours ( he can stay up 2.5)

If I put him to bed at 6:00, he really doesn't want that last bottle...not hungry. Maybe I should drop the 11:00 bottle? He is 18 lbs and tall.
Also: If he only naps 1.5 hour naps its even earlier. ( like today he was up at 6:15 then an hour 1:15 nap and 1:5)
Thanks!

Offline shanlbc

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: More Catnap questions
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 00:40:33 am »
I am so glad I saw this thread...this is exactly what happened to us today.  DS (6mos next week) absolutely refused the catnap today so I put him to bed at 6pm.  I really don't want to have to keep doing this because I work outside the home three days per week and I don't want to have to ask the nanny to do bath and everything else to have him in bed by 6pm.  He finished his last nap at 1:30 and would not go down until bed at 6pm.  He did the same thing as pdebuys and wouldn't finish his usual bottle. 

I have seen a bunch of other posts where people are saying that their 6mo old LOs have changed the routine up.  DS decided yesterday that his A time was now 2.5hrs (except for late afternoon...today it was 4.5hrs!).

What's the right amout of sleep in a 24hr period for 6mo old LOs?  DS has started sleeping longer stretches at night (finally!) and DH thinks that's why he is getting harder and harder to get down for naps.

Offline pdebuys

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 19:15:38 pm »
I have 2 thoughts. I think we are in a transition because it looks like A time will increase over next couple of weeks so that they can stay awake 2.75-3 hours.

Most babies probably grow out of it quick, because I don't see a lot of info about it. 

Shanlbc, I agree about the putting to bed at 6:00. I don't like him getting up at 5:30/6:00 even if it was 12 hours since he went to bed. Let me know what you do.

I think the problem with not taking food can also be related to fatigue. My 2 babies have been BW babies, and never eat well tired.

Here is the link to how long they stay awake. I think I am reluctant to try more than 2.5 because I get set in my ways, feeling like I just increased the time. Maybe I will add 10min on to the awake in am.

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=64158.msg476652#msg476652

Offline shanlbc

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: More Catnap questions
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 03:20:43 am »
Yesterday must have just been a one off because he napped all three naps well today.  But we still used the 2.5hr A time.  It is definitely harder to get him down, almost like when we were first sleep training at 2mos, but at least he got some sleep today.

Our biggest problem with dropping the "catnap" is that it is not really a catnap.  DS's morning and afternoon naps are only 1hr 20 min (two 38 min sleep cycles) so I let him sleep as long as he wants at the "catnap" time.  It's usually another 1hr 20min.  I am assuming that he is getting the amount of sleep he needs.  But my best friend keeps telling me I am letting him sleep too much during the day, that he would sleep better at night if he didn't nap as much.  Of course she is one who kept her babies up until 10pm every night!