Author Topic: early morning waking  (Read 1106 times)

Offline petmummy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: August 28, 2007, 11:13:30 am »
My 8 mo seems to have got into habit of waking between 5am and 6am.  It's really since dropping dream feed that it's become regular but he would sometimes wake early before that.  I'm not too bothered about 6am but 5am is a bit too early for weekends and holidays!  Btw there is no convincing him to go back to sleep.  He's wide awake.  Hiis routine is as follows (i've shown the variation in times each day):
5-6am wake up and feed milk 210ml-
7.30-8am solids
8-8.30am sleep (1.5-2hr)
9.30-10am wake up
10.30-11am feed milk 210ml
11.30-12 solids
12-12.30 sleep (1.5hr)
1.30-2pm wake
2.30-3pm feed milk 210ml
*sometimes has catnap around 4pm if tired 20-45mins
5pm solids
6pm bath
6.20-30 feed milk 210ml
7pm sleep

He always drinks full first feed but doesn't always finish all of other bottles.
I would really appreciate some advice.  Thanks so much.

Offline momofclaire

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
Re: early morning waking
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 00:32:52 am »
I think he might be waking early because he is overtired.  Have you tried an earlier bedtime?

He should be getting to bed about 12 hours after he wakes.
If he's up at 5:00 I would aim for something like this
5:00 wake
8:00 sleep (1.5 hours)
12:30 sleep (1.5 hours)
5:00 bedtime

Or at 6:00
6:00 wake
9:00 nap
1:30 nap
6:00 bedtime

Most babies have dropped the catnap by 7 months. I think the reason yours sometimes needs it is because of early wakes and late bedtime.  I would try to get him a bit more rested and then work on adjusting that 12 hour period to something more acceptable to you, like 7-7.  :)
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline petmummy

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 07:49:34 am »
Thanks for your help.  So do you think 3hr awake time before naps is about right for this stage and 3hr sleep per day?  What should I do if he gets tired before this in the morning?  Amazing, this morning he slept until 7am but is tired now at nearly 9am!  Thanks again. 

Offline ratfly

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 08:25:37 am »
Can I lurk?

my 7 month ds is doing a similar thing - waking at about 5.45 ready for the day.
He has a similar 3 hour A time, but his naps aren't lasting the full 1 - 1 1/2 hours, as he has recently dropped his swaddle, so he always has a catnap of 30 - 45 mins at about 4.30 / 5. Other than that, you pretty much have the same routine as me!

I always put him down at 7. I am scared that if I put him down earlier, then he will just wake EVEN EARLIER!!!

Offline petmummy

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 11:33:43 am »
Feel free to lurk!!  Yes me too!  I think he might wake up earlier.  I find it hard to stretch him beyond 2.5 hrs awake time before his two naps.  Apart from his early wake up I'm happy with everything else.  I thought it might work itself out given time but it's been almost two months now.

Offline momofclaire

• Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 17:12:42 pm »
Generally the first A time is the shortest. At 8 months some babies are doing 3 hours A time, some need a little less.  You will have to play with that a bit and see what works for you.
You can have a 2.5 hour in the morning and 3 between naps.  I think 3 or just a little more during the day would be fine.
What time did he go to sleep last night?

Ratfly-post your routine and maybe we can take a look for you. 

[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 17:24:28 pm »
We are having the same issues - but I know my LO has 10 hours of sleep in him at night so if he does get to bed for 6 then he is awake at 4am :o. We have tried to keep the same bedtime and routine and he seems to be starting to sleep later (touch wood!). Over the last week he has been waking around 4am, taking a full 9oz bottle then going back to sleep. Today I woke him at 7.30am. I am quite happy for him to wake, eat and go back for a few hours - much easier on me than a 5.30 wake up. We have had weeks of waking bright and happy at 5/5.30 ::)

Petmummy - our routine is very similar to yours. I do think my LO is overtired some days but when I am in work there is no way I can get him to bed by 6pm.

Laura

Offline petmummy

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 07:20:37 am »
He woke up at 7am yesterday-first time in ages!  He was asleep just after 7pm last night and up again at 6.20am.  Not bad but I could hear him stirring from around 5.50am.  He's napping now already at 8.20am.  I thought perhaps he could only sleep a ten to eleven hour stretch at night as he's never done a full twelve hours.  Before he'd sleep around 7-7 but with a feed that took about 30-45mins.  Could this be possible or is it overtiredness that is waking him early?

Offline ratfly

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 07:26:24 am »
My lo slept til 6.30 this morning!!  :)
You are right about not doing a full 12 hours without a break for a feed too - mine used to sleep 7-7 but with several wakings, so maybe 7.15 - 6.00 is ok?

here's hoping that one day we get a lie in!

Offline petmummy

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 08:53:03 am »
It's got to happen one day!!  I think nearly eleven hours is pretty good.  :)