Author Topic: Daugther Dependent on My Presence During Naps  (Read 899 times)

Offline Regan's Mommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • All God's Grace in One Little Face!
Daugther Dependent on My Presence During Naps
« on: September 16, 2007, 23:02:47 pm »
Now that I've adopted the EASY and PU/PD theories during night time (In memory of Trace...thank you so much Tracy, for this advice, as my 11-month old daughter is finally not dependent on BFing to sleep every two hours...I'm still using the PU, but mostly PD method during the night, but both of us are sleeping better and longer!), my daugther appears to be dependent on my presence to go do sleep during naps.  Is this just temporary, or does it go on for a long time?  How do I eventually break her of this dependence....checking to see if I'm still there.

Also, I seem to be a distraction.  When I put my hand on her back, sometimes she plays with my arm.  She'll get distracted by lots of things, including something I'm wearing, to avoid going to sleep.  She cheerfully gets exctied about anyting that she can see in her room.    Do I just keep doing the PD method?  I avoid eye contact with her, but I'm concerned that she's developed a dependency on my presence.

She was used to fussing just a bit and then settling on her own for her nap.  Did allowing her to fuss in the past have the same affect as "crying it out"?  I've never let her fuss long and has never been out of control.

What do you recommend when she wakes after an hour nap?  When I try to put her back down, sometimes we fight about.  Are we just fighting for who's in charge?  Do you think that two 1-hour naps are sufficient for an 11-month old child that is sleeping good at night, or does it depend on the child?

Lots of questions...sometimes I wish I could talk with someone in person or on the phone!
Proud mommy of daughter, Regan Raelee, born in October 2006.

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
Re: Daugther Dependent on My Presence During Naps
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 23:08:05 pm »
Could you post your routine please?
What happens if you just leave her when you put her down for a nap? Does she cry or just fuss?

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Regan's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 23:18:45 pm »
Her routine is typically like this:

6:30 to 6:45  Wakes and BF
7:30 to 8:00 Meal
Activity
9:00 to 9:30 Nap, varying from 45 min to 1 1/2 hours
BF when wakes
12:00 Meal
1:30 to 2:30 Nap, also varying time frame
BF when wakes
Activity
4:00 Meal
6:00 Snack sometimes
6:30 Bath, BF, Story
7:00 to 7:30 To Bed

When I leave her for her nap, she mostly fusses...some crying, but not horrible.  However, I've not left her long enough...reading Tracy's book makes me not want to abandon her.  Do I need some perspective?

andibig

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 22:11:49 pm »
depends on how she is crying.a lot of LOs will do a mantra cry (usually a monotone cry with no tears) and fuss b4 their nap.i would say it would be ok to leave her as its not CIO.however if the crying is escalating and shes getting upset then i'd intervene.
are you using PD when she is standing up? if shes not standing and not upset (just looking around her room) then i wouldn't use PD.
DD at that time would have 1hr nap in the am and 1.5hr in the pm so your LOs sleep is about average.generally if she is sleeping well at night and her mood during the day is not indicating that she is getting overtired then shes fine.
hope that makes sense
Andrea

Offline Regan's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 03:20:29 am »
What do you do in the room while she's just looking around the room?  Any suggestions?  If she's sitting, not standing or laying down, do you recommend just letting her do it until she gets tired enough.  It seems to take 20-30 minutes for her to give in.  Is this normal?

Also, I had last week off, the week that I initiated the program.  This week was my last day back to work.  My parents watch Regan.  My dad was able to get Regan to sleep in the normal fashion within about 20 minutes, but my mom tried in the afternoon and wasn't successful.  If the caregiver isn't consistent, what does that do to the nighttime?  Tonight she was so tired that she went down without a fuss at 7 p.m.  It's 8:25 and she's still sleeping.  We'll see how the night goes and I know that every child is different.

andibig

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 07:43:41 am »
if shes sitting up (and sasha used to do this too!!) i probably wouldn't intervene unless shes getting upset.
interesting that your mum and dad had different success.DH was very successful getting rid of sashas NWs because he was consistent and i wasn't.he just went in told her to lie down and go to sleep whereas with I probably intervened too much.
HTH

Offline Bryony

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 141
  • We're in London, UK
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 21:06:46 pm »
Regan's Mommy - jsut a thought, but do you think she's tired enough for a nap at 9 or 9:30am ? Seemed quite early to me?  Just wondered whether increasing her A time before the nap would help?

Bryony

You only really know what love is when you become a parent

Offline Regan's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 03:40:55 am »
Thank you so much for your comments.  Today went great with mom.  She laid Regan down at 9:30 for first nap and she didn't complain at all..some standing on head, but not crying.  Afternoon went great too. 

Increasing her A time in the a.m. could help, but she seems to obviously tire by 9 or 9:30y. Especially if she wakes up by 5:30.  We attempt getting her back to sleep until at least 6:30, but it seems that she tries so hard and can't go back to sleep.  I posted under Night Wakings regarding the early rising.  Someone suggested she may be overtired and that I should try putting her to bed by 6 p.m. There's an interesting theory there, should you be interested in reading it.  Entitled: "11-month waking up early; how to extend to 7 am"  I'm going to try it too.

Sure appreciate all the help I get from this site.