Author Topic: Not sure how to deal with overtiredness  (Read 888 times)

Offline ~Faye~

• A TRUE FRIEND IS SOMEONE WHO SEES THE PAIN IN YOUR EYES WHILE EVERYONE ELSE BELIEVES THE FAKE SMILE .
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 369
  • If life hands you lemons ask for tequila and salt!
Not sure how to deal with overtiredness
« on: September 17, 2007, 09:40:51 am »
So we have a problem that Shay is sooooo overtired. I think he is having a growth spurt, he has got taller and is saying so much more etc.

This is his normal day very roughly:

6.30am wakes up, says he is still tired. Breakfast. Play.
12.00 lunch.
1pm nap
3pm wakes up says he is still tired.
6pm dinner, play
7.30 bed.

The problem is he won't let us leave him to go to sleep, we have to stay in the room again. If we don't he doesn't go to sleep til about 9.30. But all through the day he keeps saying 'Shay tired' and doing what he does when he is tired (stroking his nipple!)

Is there anyway I can break the cycle so he isn't so tired. He still needs his nap, if he doesn't get it he falls asleep at about 4.30 and can't be woken for anything, like we had yesterday. Or if he only has a short one he falls asleep again as above. Then we are totally thrown with bedtime. So not quite sure what to do. Is it just a faze cos of the growth spurt, or will it be an ongoing problem?

TIA

Faye :-*

Shay
Ziggy Sleep well xxx
Ellie
Darcy
http://postnatalillness.myfreeforum.org/index.php

Offline Jocasta

• Want to support the wonderful Woopsters? PM me to find out how!
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 219
  • Want a What Would Woopster Do wristband - pm me!
    • Woopster Fan Club
Re: Not sure how to deal with overtiredness
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 11:20:29 am »
No idea honey - I just can't remember Jacob's routine at that age  :-[

Finger's crossed it's just a phase and you'll be back to normal before long.  It sounds like he's getting plenty of sleep? 

If it does continue for some time, I'd recommend getting him to the drs just for peace of mind - only in that you say he's always saying he's tired despite having had lots of sleep. 

Hugs honey!  :-*

Wilsmon

Re: Not sure how to deal with overtiredness
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 15:09:24 pm »
If it does continue for some time, I'd recommend getting him to the drs just for peace of mind - only in that you say he's always saying he's tired despite having had lots of sleep. 

Is he a noisy sleeper?  Both my kids had adenoids taken out. Just something to consider. 

How long has this been going on?  Is he getting teeth? Teething was a sleep killer for us - all the way through to two year molars. Even when it seemed like he was not teething.  Things would get a little better, slowly worse and then wahla -new tooth.  All this and just milestones can cause them to not get the sleep they need.  He is definitely too young to not be getting an afternoon nap.  My dd only slept 10 10.5 hrs at night and napped up until starting kindergarten.  And then would still nap on the weekends.