Author Topic: Having trouble with DS's naps @ 2.5 yo  (Read 613 times)

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
Having trouble with DS's naps @ 2.5 yo
« on: September 17, 2007, 20:26:23 pm »
There are many days when DS will not fall asleep on his own for his nap without intervention. He looks and acts tired but, when I try to put him in his crib, he argues with me. I tell him that he can have quiet time instead but I know he needs a nap - I can see it in his eyes and in his actions. If I go in there within a few minutes of putting him to nap and lightly massage his legs or arms, most of the time he will fall asleep (and he rarely sleeps less than 2 hours during his naps if I let him sleep that long). I can't always do that, though, since I'm usually feeding his sister or trying to get her to nap.

I don't mind taking him out and just letting him play but he's exhausted by the end of the day without a nap, not to mention he usually wakes at night if he hasn't napped that day.

Some notes:
  • He sleeps a good 11-12 hours per night and I know that he could do with at least an hour nap.
  • He also has a little sister (15 mo at the moment) but I honestly don't see what she would have to do with his naps. (She's currently transitioning from 2 to 1 nap.)
  • He doesn't always eat very well before his naps and I really wonder if that has something to do with it. I can't force the food down his throat and refuse to give him junk food just to satisfy him so I let him eat whatever he eats and whatever I can "trick" him into eating. ::)

Any suggestions?
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: Having trouble with DS's naps @ 2.5 yo
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 23:41:43 pm »
I was having the same issue not too long ago. Mine was exhausted & needed a nap but has somehow convinced herself that she doesn't need sleep & would keep herself up. After 2.5weeks of trying to leave her in the cot to get a nap out of her... I resorted to some AP & now the only way she will sleep is if I lay down with her & wait for her to fall asleep. Her nap only lasts about an hour (av 1.25hrs) & she also does about 11hrs at night. I think at this age they prematurely give up naps & its a matter of doing what you can to help them relax. With us its reading books on my bed & she's out in about 10mins tops (at which point I leave her & she comes out when she's done sleeping). I would say if sitting with him is the only way to get him to nap then continue to do that.... my other option was to also let her roam around & be a bear by 4pm or to watch tv & pass out on the couch (not really my ideal). I know what you mean about the other sibling though - Jasmine is also going through the transition... usually what I do is feed her lunch around the same time as Isabella (11.30ish) & when I am with Isabella in my bed, I put a video on for Jasmine to watch. Once Isabella is asleep, I give Jasmine a snack (so around 12.30-1pm) & she's off to sleep around 1.30pm.

hth
Layla

20/06/2012 - my angel baby