Author Topic: Crying and thrashing around at night  (Read 2891 times)

Offline green

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 02, 2007, 08:49:13 am »
Please help Baby is 34 weeks and she has reflux and after 20 weeks of no sleep we finally got the meds sorted so that she reverted to being a normal baby !!! But now for the last 5-6 weeks she has changed.Goes down to bed at the latest 7.30pm and is ok until 1.00 / 1.30am and then it starts -the crying and thrashing around in the cot and very windy (flatulance - but she is still asleep) but we are not.Usually move her into the bed with us as this settles her down for a while but then she is off again.Got approx 3 hours sleep last night.Baby is still in the room and most times in the bedwith us. Is it teething or digestion problem - no teeth yet.Going back to work in a few weeks and not looking forward to it.
Would appreciate help or advice on this.

Offline Miasmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • Mia the Character
Re: Crying and thrashing around at night
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 10:48:20 am »
Hi there,

I don't know if 34 weeks is too early. But at about 18 months my son started having night terrors and did exactly what your little one is doing? He never has remembered it in the morning but sometimes they would last an hour of him crying, wanting us, kicking us, thrashing around the bed. It really broke my heart at the time. He still sometimes has them. But the only thing helped us was to start him off sleeping in our bed and everytime I hear him start I quietly say to him "Its ok, Mummy's here, Its ok shhh shhh" and do the whole Sshh and pat thing. He also has a dog which is his comforter thing and I tell him that his dog is his protector and will protect him during the night. But since they have started he has slept in our bed from beginning to end and he is now 3. DH and I are to scared to transfer him in case they start again...

I dont' know if any of this week help, if it is night terrors.

Sending you lots of Hugs.
[img width= height=]http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/foxfoxard20070131_2_My+child+is+an+angel+baby.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/dogdogard20040915_2_My+child+is+textbook+baby.png[/img]

Offline green

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 10:59:50 am »
Thank you Miasmummy - have tried the Sssh pat etc and she has a comforter and it still does not work.It just seems very strange no issues in going to bed at night or nap times now it is just during the night ??

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 14:17:49 pm »
Please help Baby is 34 weeks and she has reflux and after 20 weeks of no sleep we finally got the meds sorted so that she reverted to being a normal baby !!! But now for the last 5-6 weeks she has changed.Goes down to bed at the latest 7.30pm and is ok until 1.00 / 1.30am and then it starts -the crying and thrashing around in the cot and very windy (flatulance - but she is still asleep) but we are not.Usually move her into the bed with us as this settles her down for a while but then she is off again.Got approx 3 hours sleep last night.Baby is still in the room and most times in the bedwith us. Is it teething or digestion problem - no teeth yet.Going back to work in a few weeks and not looking forward to it.
Would appreciate help or advice on this.

Hi there, I'm sorry things are whacky!

Did your LO start on Zantac for her reflux?  If she has been on the same dose for a while there is a good possibility that she has gained weight and needs a higher dose.  Zantac is very sensitive in this regard.  Actually you may consider having the dose of whatever her med is evaluated if she has gained weight.   

Another thing to think about is when her last dose of medication is for the day.  It could be the medication is wearing off and she is in pain again at that time.  Could be?  This could hold true if your giving Zantac or a PPI med like Prevacid.

Also, teething can cause reflux symptoms to flare up when otherwise controlled.  There are differing opinions as to why this is, but regardless of the reason - it does happen.  Our GI doctor rec we use Mylanta Supreme (has to be supreme) for break through reflux discomfort - You would definitely want to ask your doctor before giving any new medication.

Lastly, have you introduced any new foods that could be causing her upset - or have you introduced a 'dinner meal' that could be upsetting her tummy?   Are you doing a DF or a night feeding prior to the wake up?  If so is it any different than what she has during the daytime?  If there is a feeding prior to the wake up, have you tried giving her something like Mylicon drops prior to that feeding?

Just some ideas to think about.  I hope things work out soon so sleeping with you doesn't become a prop.  :)
Zoey
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 14:20:30 pm by Zoey »

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline green

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 14:45:30 pm »
Hi Zoey thanks for that.My LO was on Zantac but not strong enough,now on Losec and no change to dosage until she reaches 10 kg ( 2 kg to go yet).Meds been given in the morning maybe I should change that to night time as she is on solids but seems to love them (have tracked the foods etc but it is the same every night).

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 15:09:26 pm »
I see!

Well naturally there is a ton of info out there about reflux medication and dosing and all that... here is a site that helped me a ton when Owen was having reflux troubles.  http://www.marci-kids.com/treatments3.html  - this link brings you right to the medication section.  We gave our PPI once in the morning, and he started having trouble at night, so we talked to the GI and started giving it twice a day with great effect.  Something about keeping a steadier level of medication in the body over 24h.  Something to ponder anyhow.

Good Luck!
Zoey
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 15:11:20 pm by Zoey »

...its what you do when you get back up.