Author Topic: Just Started BW for my 5 and half month old grumpy boy... Need help  (Read 787 times)

Offline jaedagal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • My munchkin at 2 months old.
So, I understand the basics of the e.a.s.y. I've tried to look for answers on here for my questions, but it's hard to find.

I have a "Grumpy" 5.5 month old baby boy and when I mean grumpy I mean GRUMPY (he's been like this since day one). I did have him on a schedule, but it just wasn't strict enough for him and then i finally found out about BW method. I'm willing to try anything at this point.

I now see that I have been a prop for him for a long time. The only way he use to sleep is being swaddled, fed and rocked/jiggled to sleep for naps and bed time. Yes, we had a family bed, but now we are changing that. I guess I've done everything wrong, but at the time it seemed like the only answer.

I don't think I can swaddle him anymore -- he's a huge baby (he's basically the size of a one year old) and he's sooo strong and is now impossible to swaddle.

I have a few question since this is just my second day of e.a.s.y and pu/pd method. I realize it's going to take a while for him to get it, but for naps if he wakes up anywhere from 15-40 minutes (after anywhere from 30-45 minutes of trying to get him to sleep) do I still try the pu/pd method? Even if he doesn't fall back a sleep? What if he f wants nothing to do with a nap afterwards? I do try to keep him up for 2 hours of active time including the time he missed for his nap. He already get cranky as it is when i try keeping him up for 1.5 hours... It's hard to follow easy when he gets like this. I don't over stimulate him or under stimulate -- He's very fussy that way. What should I do? I'm also trying to extend his feeds, but he seems to only want to eat 4 0z every 3 hours. I do try distracting him and trying to stretch it out.

Our first day went like this... took 1 hour and 50 minutes to get a 10 minute nap, second nap lasted 20 minutes, a 5 minute cat nap and then the night was hell... he maybe got a total of 3 hours of broken sleep. Today was a bit better, but his naps are sooo short and I'm dreading tonight.

I know i will keep up with this because my poor babe is just not a happy camper.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 23:00:19 pm by jaedagal »

Offline debo620

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 70
Re: Just Started BW for my 5 and half month old grumpy boy... Need help
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 18:05:50 pm »
hi there,

definately continue with PUPD at his age.
he should be eating every 4hrs or so, so you should be on more of a 4hr easy.
I would think attempt first nap at about 2hrs of A time
now if that nap is short, you will have to use pupd to get him back to sleep, or until it is time to eat. if he does not go back to sleep within that period, then you may feed, have a quick diaper change and then attempt nap again.

so in this way, you have to flex the EASY a bit to try and fit more naps in. of course this is not ideal but it will get better as he gets used to new way of sleeping and gets used to more sleep in general.

so lets say, he only sleeps 20min----you may try 45min of pupd, if he goes back to sleep for 45min then feed when he wakes, if he doesn't go back to sleep after 45min of trying, then take a break, feed him, light activity and diaper change for maybe 30min and then attempt nap again.

HTH
Deborah,
Noah---January 30th, 2006
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013