Author Topic: Help! Fussy 6 week old won't nap!  (Read 815 times)

Offline sastrebaby

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 03, 2007, 01:43:12 am »
I actually have a two questions....any advice would be most appreciated...

1. I would like to have my 6 week old baby boy on EASY, but I am having problems getting him to sleep during the day. He nurses well, gets groggy, wakes for his diaper change and then is fine to play for the next 30 minutes or so. After this, I start to see sleep signals like yawning and try to put him down to sleep (by either just lying him in his crib, rocking him, singing to him, setting the mood in the room, playing music)...however, his eyes stay wide awake OR he gets drowsy, but fights sleep with a vengeance. This leads to one very cranky, crying baby. So, as you can imagine, I never get to complete the EASY cycle and I never have YOU time. So, I am very tired and could use some ideas...

2. He sleeps very well at night (sometimes up to 4 hours), but I am skipping ACTIVITY time b/c it is night time. So, in essence, I am nursing him to sleep. His only "activity" is burping. Is this a bad idea? Am I ingraining bad habits?

One thing to keep in mind is that my baby does have an inguinal hernia (which will be fixed by surgery next week). I keep thinking this is making him fussy, but my doc says that it shouldn't cause any pain. Could his refusal to nap have anything to do with this? Any thoughts?

Offline debo620

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 70
Re: Help! Fussy 6 week old won't nap!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 18:11:12 pm »
hi there,
a few things,
time when he starts showing sleepy signs---and then attempt a diaper change and windown before that time, so that he is all ready for sleep when those sleepy signs hit. try to incorporate a consistant routine, like diaper change, song, swaddle, bed etc.
use patt--ssh to get him to assist him to sleep. please look in he nap FAQ section for this method.

night feed are just that, do not worry about activity time, feed, diaper change only if necessary and back to bed.
Deborah,
Noah---January 30th, 2006
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013