Author Topic: Veggie Strike  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Grace's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 142
  • Oh Trader Joes, How I Love You
Veggie Strike
« on: October 11, 2007, 21:48:55 pm »
FEW QUESTIONS...HOPE YOU DON'T MIND...

1.  OK, so veggies haven't always been the most exciting part of our day but we did seem to be able to get at least 4oz of veggies into her every day (most of the time).  All of a sudden, out of the blue, she decided she didn't like veggies and has refused them for over a week now.  She has never liked regular veggies. We have always had to give her pureed veggies.  Not sure why but I didn't care as long as she was eating them.  Now, I can't get any kind of veggie into.

I am assuming this is just a phase (hoping).  In the mean time should I be giving her a multi vitamin?  If so, any suggestions are much appreciated.

2.  Grace has always been a small eater.  But, now she is litterally eating close to nothing.  She is getting better as of the last two days, praise God.  Prior to this she was eating a grape for breakfast (after going 13 hours with out food) and then a bite of turkey and then signing All Done.  I can sometimes get her to eat while she is walking around, which I don't want to get into a habit of doing....is it bad that I do that once in a while? ;) I just want her to eat and she does not do well with sitting still for too long! 95% of her meals are strictly at the dinner table.
Should I be worried about her food intake?  I can usually guarantee that she'll eat some crackers and then for the most part meat isn't an issue.  She doesn't want anything to do with pureed stuff as of late (yogurt, apple sauce, etc.) but also doesn't seem to like her usual favorites...cheese, etc. 
Is this normal for an 18 month old? 

3.  She is a spirited one and I have yet to really try and teach her how to use a fork or knife due to fear of disaster.  As it is, we can only place about one piece of food on her plate at a time or 1. it gets thrown or 2. it's too much for her personal taste and she just won't eat it. Is it OK that I haven't started teaching her that yet?  Well, once in awhile I try to give her a spoon or fork with food on it but she wants me to put it in her mouth. 

Sorry for all the questions but I thought I kill two birds with one stone (or should I say 3 birds  ;))

Melissa
I am so in love with my husband and adore my precious Grace

Grace April 2006
Blog: http://graceadelyn.blogspot.com/

Offline RyansMum

• Showing Appreciation 138
  • Minecraft mad!
Re: Veggie Strike
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 10:34:46 am »
Ok I will try and put my 2 pence worth in just based on how my lo was!  Hopefully someone will answer you who has better replies!

I had a great weaning book and in there it stated that from time to time children will refuse food but they will never starve themselves and may even go through a phase of just wanting one type of food for a week or so. So I believe that if your lo is not eating a lot right now that this will pass, this is just a phase.  However, if you feel that it is or has been going on for too long I would suggest speaking to your GP/Ped/HV if you are still concerned.  I don't believe a multi vitamin is necessary but only you know your child and if you feel she is lacking by the way she is behaving or looking then get some.  Also as a side is she perhaps teething or under the weather?  These sorts of things obviously affect the appetite.

I really don't think it is wrong for her to have a bite to eat while walking around.  I would try to encourage her to sit with you perhaps on the floor or couch while she is chewing though.

My lo also appears to go off food that he usually loves too like yogurt.  Perhaps make her some milky puddings like Rice pudding so that you are happy she is getting enough dairy. I normally add some banana or apple to it.

I really think if she is 18months old you should let her try with a fork.  It can be very nerve racking but it will help her development to use one.  Perhaps give her a spoon and fork, let her eat with her fingers if she is having difficultly but leave the fork and spoon on the tray so that she can experiment with them. I was amazed how quickly my lo picked up how to use one!  Eating with her will really help too if you do not already do so.  She will learn by copying you. My lo too wanted me to use the fork on him (and occasionally still does) some of that is due to the fact that they cannot get the food in their mouths as quickly as they would like and therefore get frustrated as they are still hungry (that is definitely the way with my lo, he will say finished but half the time I can get him to eat a bit more if I feed him).

Again the throwing thing is a phase, my lo was forever throwing food  ::) but they get bored of it eventually  ;D  I agree try not to put too much on her plate/tray, large portions of food are very off putting to lo's (I have been guilty of it).  If you need to give her seconds then do so.

I hope that has been of some use to you and I hope someone else to interject a few more ideas! Good luck!

Offline mum6791

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 10:40:22 am »
Hi Melissa

I can't totally relate as I have a really great eater, but she did go on an eating strike for about 3 days and it was stressful.  I know it is hard, but I don't think you need to worry as they seem to eat what they need.  If there are certain foods that she is certain to eat I would offer those for atleast one meal a day so you know she is eating some food.

I think going off of pureed food is pretty normal - they seem to like different textures at different times.  As far as the spoon/fork thing goes, I haven't done that yet either.  I always think - they won't be 18 still eating with their hands right? (right???).  I wouldn't worry about this, but maybe pick a meal a day where you are prepared for the big mess and let her go for it.  She may really enjoy it and start eating more.

The veggies thing is hard.  My ds prefers carbs, fruit and dairy.  Have you tried offering sweeter veggies like sweet potatoe, parsnips, etc?  I cut these up bite sized and boil them.  I find my ds likes it if I put these things in a bowl (plastic) for her and let her pick them out.  I only put in about 6 pieces at a time, but she seems to like to eat this way.  I'm not sure about the vitamin - I don't have any experience here, sorry.

Take care,
Jess

Offline Grace's Mom

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 14:47:15 pm »
Thank you all very much.

-Melissa

Grace April 2006

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 23:21:29 pm »
Just wanted to add that Colin does quite a bit of eating while walking around or doing other things too.  :-[  I'm not really happy about it but he can only stand to be in his chair for so long, and it's usually not long enough to eat a whole lot. I have noticed that in the last month he's been better about it though.

I also only give him a little bit at a time and then replenish. Otherwise he immediately throws it all on the floor and I can't stand that.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

binxyboo

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 05:03:52 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRKiqupi3Og

Kaleb still has two eyes, it cant be that bad.

Okay, it's time for me to go to bed. This comment made me laugh so hard!!

I do remember being amazed at the amount of food on his plate last time you posted this.

Offline RyansMum

• Minecraft mad!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 09:07:58 am »
That is a good point made by Stacy, Ryan does enjoy using our forks over his own sometimes and therefore encourages better eating.  I haven't let him have our knives though, he has his own and tries to put that one in his mouth so until he stops doing that its his knife all the way!!

Offline Grace's Mom

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 20:30:09 pm »
Right after I posted, she started to want us to feed her off of our plates, using our fork...so we did.  Then I started spearing if for her and would give the fork to her and she fed herself some.  I think we are going down the right track.   :)

Love the video Stacy!   ;D

Thank you for all the advice girls.

We are on vacation now, while all of boxes and furniture make their way to Washington, so I am in the mind set of....as long as she eats something, right  ;)

I'll start trying more with self feeding.  She seems to be taking more of an interest in it now so I am excited.

Melissa

Grace April 2006

Offline RyansMum

• Minecraft mad!
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 21:14:20 pm »
Good to hear Melissa, hope it all goes well, enjoy your vacation!