Author Topic: Back again!  (Read 722 times)

Offline RACHPEM

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« on: November 02, 2007, 07:43:36 am »
Just wanted to drop back in as we are still having NW's and are getting worse.  I have posted on the nap board also, as I am sure it is down to naps, but wanted to ask what you thought on here as they seem pretty stumped by it also.
Last night Maya went to bed at 6pm she had only had 2 naps total 1hr 30mins.
She woke at 12, 12.30,1, 1.30,2,2.30 and 3 where I gave in and took her into my bed, I know huge mistake, but im knackered. did not work anyway and she woke again after 1 hr and did not want to go back to sleep.
She has took hardly any naps for about a wk and seems quite content going long stretches without sleep, I am finding like "lesorl" if she has no sleep in day or limited sleep the NW are less, so do you think she is having too little sleep or too much.
On the other board someone suggested she may not need as much sleep but she is only doing around 11-12 hrs intotal, surely this is too little for a 10 month old, so is it little sleep that is causing NW????
We all seem stumped so would appreciate what you think?
Rachael

Offline lesorl

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 13:08:19 pm »
Hi Rachael,

Having had recent NWs myself in this house, I now realize I had one OT baby!  If she's waking every 30 mins, I think she's accumulated OT.  Despite my suggestion last night of putting her down later, I think you need to put her down earlier.  Use the clock, not her tired signs.  I've come to the conclusion that M. only uses tired signs when she's beyond tired.

Others may disagree, but when you have an OT baby you need to get them to sleep any way you can, even a car ride or stroller ride.  Have you tried doing that in the afternoon?

This morning we only had 2.5 hours A time, and even that may have been too much.

Keep putting her to bed early.  It's going to take a few days if not a week to catch up on sleep.

Let me know how it's going.

Leslie

Offline Bryony

• Showing Appreciation 141
  • We're in London, UK
Re: Back again!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 14:57:46 pm »
Rachel - can you remind us how old our LO is, and what her approximate routine is at the moment?

Bryony

You only really know what love is when you become a parent

Offline Jocasta

• Want to support the wonderful Woopsters? PM me to find out how!
  • Showing Appreciation 219
  • Want a What Would Woopster Do wristband - pm me!
    • Woopster Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 15:14:49 pm »
I agree that 11-12 hrs is not enough sleep for a ten month old - hec my DS had more sleep than that at 3 years! I personally think she's probably ot but as a fellow nw sufferer, perhaps you shouldn't take my advice  ;)  :P

Offline RACHPEM

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 17:57:55 pm »
Hi Bryony,
Maya is 10months next wk and I am still trying (so hard) to get her on a schedule, I am currently trying 3.15 A time and I have managed to get a couple of longer naps from her but not sure if this is because she is OT from her lack of night time sleep.
The pm nap always fails, so most days she goes with 2 x 30 mins and is suprisingly happy and sleeps better at night than when she has had day sleep.
Always in bed super early due to bad naps and wakes at the crack of dawn.
She just can keep going and going although I do try to put her down for naps, she generally only does 30 mins and lately wakes up happy from them, hence why I extended her A time, 30 mins sometimes mean undertired for maya, as I have tried anything from 2-3 hrs and still got 30 mins even after a good sleep.
Any help I will embrace!!!! I am so shattered, physically and mentally, I dont think I spent so much time revising for my exams as I spend trying to figure Maya out, she is a real brain teaser.
Thanks

Offline Bryony

• Showing Appreciation 141
  • We're in London, UK
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 15:00:26 pm »
So if the PM nap fails, are you trying for 3 naps?  You say that she still has 2 x 30 min naps?

TBH I am not sure what to suggest....  it does sound like a very low amount of total sleep for her age. However a few mums I know with babies of a similar age have recently changed from two naps to one - and have found it helped with their day and reduced NWs. To me it sounds quite early to change to one nap, but that's partly becuase my LO gets very OT if she has a longer A time than 3.5 hrs!  Just might be something for you to think about.

However I don't think you will ever figure her out - as I said to another poster recently, my mum says she hasn't figured me out yet and I'm nearly 40... :P

Bryony

You only really know what love is when you become a parent