Author Topic: dark under eye circle  (Read 1107 times)

Offline egmama2

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 07, 2007, 16:56:56 pm »
PLEASE HELP!!  Have 11.5 month old with one dark (sometimes red) under eye circle and the other eye is puffy.  We also had mild patches of eczema in creases of arms and legs and back of thighs.  The eczema showed up about 3 months ago when introduced yogurt.  We got off that and the eczema cleared up however, at the same time is when we noticed the eyes.  We have cut out dairy except for formula since that time and didn't see the eye clear up very well.  3 weeks ago we changed to a soy formula to see if all dairy was the issue (she is fine w/ cheese/eggs) and found that the eyes were a little better most of the time but have not totally cleared.  Does anyone else have this issue?  Any other foods/environment that might be causing trouble?  How long should I stay away from the yogurt?  Should I try introducing cow's milk or go straight to soy when 12 months? 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: dark under eye circle
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 18:43:41 pm »
It sounds like your lo is still reacting to something. What you descibe sounds like what they call allergic shiners. I would carry on eliminating dairy and it is also possible that she is allergic to soy or that there is something else in her diet causing a problem.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 19:09:09 pm »
sounds like a reaction to me too.around 50% of milk intollerant children are soy intollerant too.my dd2 is and red rings around her eyes are one of the signs.a food diary should help you see a pattern as to what she reacts too.hth....jenny
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 19:44:00 pm »
Just to add my son is also allergic to soy aswell as dairy. Keeping a food diary is great advice.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline egmama2

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 16:26:13 pm »
Thank you for your comments.  I have been watching the diet and keeping a diary I am sure will help to narrow the problem even more.  I hadn't realized how many things have "hidden" milk in them...and soy for that matter.  I have read that vitamin C is a natural antihistamine which is the doctors first line of defense around here.  So, I think I may try this first and see how well she gets.  After reading other posts, I am not too concerned because my daughters symptoms are just cosmetic for now and to read the other symptoms these lil' babies are experiencing...I am no longer worried.  I mean so my baby looks like she has one black eye...big deal, she is not having any diarrhea or runny nose, etc.  I was surprised to not find anything about "allergic shiners" on this website though.  Thank the Lord for just a little under eye circle. 

Thanks again and have a great weekend.   ;D

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 04:27:27 am »
If the milk/soy free diet does not work, check into enviromental allergies.   My ds1 always has dark circles under his eyes due to yearly allergies, but they are not puffy.
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!