Author Topic: 3 month old takes 20 min naps & lots of nighwakings  (Read 878 times)

Offline meggles_79

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
3 month old takes 20 min naps & lots of nighwakings
« on: November 18, 2007, 20:41:27 pm »
First off this is the first time I have written a post so I hope I am putting it in the right topic area.  My baby girl is 3 months old on Thursday.  She is eating 5oz every 3 hours.  The problem that I am having is she only takes 20 minute naps maybe 3 times a day.  She does eventually fall asleep by herself when I put her mobile on in her crib.  At night she falls asleep between 6:30-7 and her first wake will usually be between 11-12.  Sometimes she wants to eat and sometimes she doesn't.  But it seems like the only way I can get her to settle back down is by giving her a bottle, she does though end up going back to sleep on her own.  The night continues with about 3 more of the same night wakings.  Around 5am she goes in her swing and sleeps until 7.  Then the whole thing starts all over again.  I need some advice because I am getting so tired.  I would love anyones advice.  Thank you.

Offline Bryony

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 141
  • We're in London, UK
Re: 3 month old takes 20 min naps & lots of nighwakings
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 09:27:55 am »
Hi there

It sounds to me as if she may be overtired. Can you post your routine for us and I will have a look!

Bryony

You only really know what love is when you become a parent

Offline meggles_79

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 12:58:43 pm »
I just upped her food intake 2 days ago and am attempting to get her to go to sleep somewhere around these times.  This is all a rough schedule.  Most of the time she doesn't make it until the next sleep time because she is so tired.  Last night she woke up at 10, drank 3oz and then again at 1:30, drank 3 and then again at 4:30 and drank 2.  I never hold her while she is sleeping, before she falls asleep I put her in her crib and turn her mobile on.  Of course her activity differs from day to day.  I hope you can help me.
E 7:00 - 5oz
A-7:30 bouncy chair
S-8:30 -  She has been falling asleep but only for 20 mins
E-10:00ish- 5oz
A- 10:30 talk to her and wave toys so she can bat at them
S-10:30 20 min
E-1:00ish 5oz
A-1:30 play mat
S-2:30
E-4:00 yesterday she skipped this feed and didn't eat until after her bath.
A-bath routine
S-6:30pm

Offline Bryony

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 141
  • We're in London, UK
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 14:32:15 pm »
Hi there

Well my guess would be on overtired - at her age the average LO is taking 3 x 1.5hr naps plus a 45 min catnap in the late afternoon / early evening. OT is a really common cause of NW.  So we need to think about how to get her to nap longer!  What is she doing when she wakes from her naps?  Have you tried extending naps or getting her to go back to sleep when she wakes? 

I would put her down much earlier for her next nap if she only has 20 mins as 20mins isn't as restorative as a proper nap. So if her A time would normally be 1.5hr I would put her down again at 1hr. If her first morning nap is only 20 mins as well, I would try putting her down earlier to see if she will sleep longer. My guess is that if you can get on top of the naps, she will sleep better at night too...

There is a short naps support thread in the naps section which you might want to have a look at - you are not alone!

Bryony

A few other thoughts:

- you say she skipped her 4pm feed yesterday - would she not take it?  It's a good idea to get this one in plus a top-up just before bed if you can.

You only really know what love is when you become a parent