Author Topic: 'A' time for a 6 mo. old? - what's "normal"  (Read 1235 times)

Offline mom of malakai

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
'A' time for a 6 mo. old? - what's "normal"
« on: November 23, 2007, 00:29:04 am »
Hi. I know every baby is different, but I am just wondering how much A time is normal for a 6 mo. old? I have difficulty stretching my spirited 6 mo. old son past 2 hours (max. 2.5 hrs - usually too tired by this point) without him getting too overtired, at which point he wont sleep at all and will then wait to close his eyes until he is in a complete meltdown (even if I am trying to get him to sleep).
Should I continue to follow his signals or should I be trying to stretch out his A time?

Julie

Offline Ennypen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
Re: 'A' time for a 6 mo. old? - what's "normal"
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 00:40:57 am »
Hi Julie

I personally would say that you should be following your sons signals and letting him develop his ability to cope with longer A times slowly and naturally.

He will show you what he can and can't cope with xxxx

Helen xx

Offline rozza

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 19:28:36 pm »
Hi, my 6 month old is exactly the same.  He is quite easy going but has a lot of energy and is always very alert and wanting to be somewhere else.... do you know what I mean.  If we're sitting down he wants to be on his mat,; on his mat he wants to wriggle across the floor etc - not the type of baby to be calm and chill. 

He will go for 2 - 2.5 hours max and it's really hard to find a balance between giving him enough stimulation so that he naps well but not too much so that he flips out and cant fall asleep.  I watch his cues but sometimes there's nothing then all of a sudden, eye rubbing etc.

A couple of weeks ago, even 2 hours was way too much and all my friends babies would do 3 or so but then all of a sudden he extended so definitely watch your lo's cues and it will come.

xxx

Offline mom of malakai

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 21:30:54 pm »
thanks. i will con't to watch my lo's cues. it is nice to hear that someone else has a lo that can't stretch as long as others seem to.