Author Topic: Physical Activity (To Tire Out) When Cold/Dark Outside - Ideas?  (Read 38318 times)

Offline ryan's mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
Re: Physical Activity (To Tire Out) When Cold/Dark Outside - Ideas?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 19:53:10 pm »
I stick animals,numbers ,letters e.t.c in one area of the house ( fridge ) and I stand the other end and Ryan has to run to the fridge and get whichever picture I ask for and run back and stick it on the radiator ,he will play this game for a long time ,it's great because aswell as tiring him out it's a speech therapy session too 'cos I encourage him to tell me the name e.t.c .
 DS loves hide and seek too
;)
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 20:13:03 pm »
Thanks for all the ideas guys - and keep em coming!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline lyndsy_p

• Canada
  • Showing Appreciation 18
  • My two sweets
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2007, 05:36:38 am »
Aisling...I'd like to be a tot at your house. Sounds like so much fun! ;D

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 14:23:27 pm »
C'mon over!

Ps. It is pretty fun for the adults too!  ;)

A x

Offline KellyC

• Showing Appreciation 217
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 23:31:58 pm »
 :-* Aisling.  I'm saving your list!

K x
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 02:39:33 am »
Hi ladies! I just saw this. I have a question and then a suggestion.

Question - What sort of trampoline do you use? Is it a regular mini one? How do you prevent the tot from falling off? Do you hold their hands while they jump? I think it's a great idea and will look into getting it when the budge permits. I'll look on eBay for a cheap one but, at the moment, we can't afford any extra luxuries. My ds's b-day is coming up and my mother wants me to buy him a gift from her but I know she wouldn't approve of the trampoline.  :P

Suggestion: Stickers. I used to collect stickers so I have a whole bunch that I really don't care about anymore so I give them a sheet each and let them stick them on my shirt, my pants, or on designated areas. If you make yourself a moving target, both you and the kids get some exercise (my kids like to run around the DR table).
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline SallyDom

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2008, 20:58:42 pm »
Thanks for the ideas, Dom is 2 this month and I've been looking for some new ideas to play with him. I had another baby (Zac) in November and feel like I've neglected Dom a bit. He won't know what's hit him with all these new games!

Sally
x
Dominic Luke 29/03/06
Isaac (Zac) James 14/11/07

Offline anniedooday

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2008, 19:28:45 pm »
I have found a great game for if I get to the end of the day and there is still time left and don't know what to do. I turn off all the lights and give my 3.5yr and 1.5yr girls flash lights and they run around the house like crazy! they love it.

Offline Claire Anne

• Showing Appreciation 29
  • (formerly known as Claire C Mc!!)
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2008, 10:55:00 am »
wow there are some great ideas here!! No doubt I'll be using them millions of times over the long dark winter!!
We had one of the worst summers ever this year and being at home with a 2 year old a 3 year old and a baby, I nearly went off my head!! Wish I'd spotted this sooner....but we do a lot of dancing to burn off energy (and in my case a dose of calories!!). THe older 2 just run around the kitchen table to the music for the most part for some reason (who knows??!!) but lately have also been breakdancing (there's a blast from the past!!) as well. We also started to play musical statues but as they couldn'tstand still for a millisecond, we touch various body parts instead. Music stops, I say first person to touch nose is the winner - and we have to do a different body part each time or there's major cheating going on kwim?!!! That game stood me in good stead.
But thanks for all the other great ideas.......it's glorious today so we can go to the beach (seasons are turned upside down here this year!) but I get the strangest feeling we'll be in dire need of rainy day ideas soon...........:)

Niamh - Best small girl in the whole wide world
Amy - 2 1/2 Best big girl in the whole wide world
Éanna - Best boy ever

Offline citawoman

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2008, 20:47:35 pm »
I am so glad I found this post because there are so many great ideas here.  I was wondering however, if anyone had any suggestions of places to go out of the house that are relatively inexpensive.  I live in Chicago and going to a shopping mall to get out of the house during the winter can be a very expensive thing when it comes to parking.  And the museums, which I thought used to have a weekly free day, are now expensive every day!  So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on places to go with a child that are low cost or free? 

Thanks!

Offline aidliz

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2008, 23:55:15 pm »
We have a tunnel that folds up...like an acordian.  Lo's love it and it doesnt take up much space when folded, you can shove it under the couch.
We also have 2 bouncy balls...the ones with a handle.

I dont do winter very well...we go to different pet stores, the kiddies love to look at the animals.  We have a few museums around here and they can be quite expensive, the childrens museum is $70 for a family membership for a year which isnt bad.  Barnes and Noble has a free story time.  Also check out the library, they sometimes have free playgroups.

Offline citawoman

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2008, 14:52:21 pm »
Thanks so much, those are great ideas.  I love the pet store idea and the library is a really great place too!

Offline mjkuebler

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2008, 19:14:51 pm »
hey gals good ideas for the hyperactivity.  Not that I am saying your kids are but mine are certainly as I am.  I love those ideas and will print them out.  We do a lot of guitar hero and car toys and nature walks.  Then eat lunch......
                                        Thanks i want more fun in my life and less dos.
                                                           Marisa

Offline confusedmama

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2009, 06:14:00 am »
Some ideas that work for us:  Hullabaloo by Cranium (instructs you to jump to a triangle, crawl to a picture of a musical instrument etc.)  My younger son (19 months) can't really follow the directions but he has a blast jumping from spot to spot trying to follow his brother (age 3 1/2).  Another fun game for 3s and up in HyberDash.  We received them both as gifts and the kids really run around with them.

When my first son was younger, we'd play "Find all the balls in the house and throw them in this laundry basket, try to beat the timer, etc. "  He would even be happy to have a jumping contest, etc.  Anything I was willing to time.

Offline mjkuebler

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2009, 19:21:07 pm »
My son is 7 years old.  For Xmas Santa brought Shane the rock band set.  So now his friends come over and have formed a rock band.  They each take turns.  Shane will sing which is good for his speech or play the guitar--and its really cute.  Or he will get on the Wii and interact with  his friends which are far away via head phone.  When we put it on speaker they can talk to each other and build up their house, balance a check book and learn life skill.