Author Topic: ? for those who have a child with MPI  (Read 1398 times)

Offline meltown

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
    • Living a Frugal Life
? for those who have a child with MPI
« on: December 31, 2007, 17:54:52 pm »
is there any milk products your child can have?  also what do you usually feed them?  we had a big reaction to something we think may have been some butter on a tortilla or something like that.  we aren't sure and I am trying to figure out what he can and can't have.  currently we only have restricted milk and cheese, but I'm beginning to wonder if we should be more careful with other things too.
Melissa
http://www.livingafrugallife.com - Frugal Living

mom to:
Braxton 09/06/2006
Reagan 03/27/2008
Kiley 09/27/2010
Quinn 02/10/2013
Madison 08/07/2021

binxyboo

Re: ? for those who have a child with MPI
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 19:06:56 pm »
Why kind of reaction is he having, Mel?

Riley is fine with yoghurt, some cheese so long as it is cooked. That's about all. But he is fine with trace dairy.

Offline meltown

• Living a Frugal Life
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 20:59:58 pm »
he had a really bad stomach ache and was up every hour- 3 hours through the night and was just crying rolling around in his crib.  we gave him his reflux med about 11:00 which was when he started to sleep a bit better.  now, a couple of nights later he was only waking once or twice through the night.  last night I could hear the up and down going on when he cried.  the dr. thinks the MPI and the reflux when he was little are connected. 
Melissa

mom to:
Braxton 09/06/2006
Reagan 03/27/2008
Kiley 09/27/2010
Quinn 02/10/2013
Madison 08/07/2021

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 21:19:52 pm »
cheese in any form here is a no no.even cheddaries which are biscuits that have cheese flavouring ::).
have you tried a food diary or elimination then introducing one at a time?its heart breaking-hugs hon :-*.
we still have gaviscon here too!
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 00:53:52 am »
TBH if there was such a strong reaction to the butter I'd eliminate ALL forms of dairy now, even trace amounts. Also have you tried him on probiotics (diary free ones of course)? We found them to be really helpful with DD and are convinced they helped not only with reflux but with maturing along her digestive system some (she used to be MPI too).
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 01:19:06 am »
Mel--I agree with others.  I'd limit all dairy and then after 2 weeks, perhaps try somethings with traces and experiment from there. 

My DS reacted when we gave him yogurt around 8 months, then reacted to cheese around 10 months, then reacted to cheese filled tortellinis around 11 months, so we eliminated all of it, even trace.  Every once in a while will have an ugly night with waking, screaming, arching, can't sleep, in pain behavior and we'll go back and realize he ate something unusual (like generic golden grahams with DH  ::)) that contained a small amount of dairy, so we know it's still a problem.  However, we'll also occasionally let him eat something and later realize it contains trace dairy, but it didn't bother him, so we continue to let him have that. 

Offline meltown

• Living a Frugal Life
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 02:15:54 am »
I've thought about doing that for a couple weeks and see what it is like.  he used to eat chedder with no problem but when he started throwing up other cheeses and such I decided to stop all but trace dairy things.  then he was diagnosed with MPI att he next dr. visit.  he hasn't had chedder since.  I think I may do the 2 weeks then do trace dairy things back in and then do the big stuff.

what do you guys feed your LO's??  He doesn't eat many veggies so he has a lot of fruit and in the morning he has pancakes and that is the only kind of dairy he has.  but I need some new ideas. 
Melissa

mom to:
Braxton 09/06/2006
Reagan 03/27/2008
Kiley 09/27/2010
Quinn 02/10/2013
Madison 08/07/2021

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 03:02:01 am »
My Lo usually has pancakes (made w/ rice milk) and fruit for breakfast.  Lately, he has PBJ sandwich for lunch and then for dinner if what we're having is non-dairy or can be made non-dairy he has that.  If not he has nitrate free hot dogs or "scramble" which is steamed mixed veggies, sausage, and eggs all scrambled together.  I also finally found a chicken and herb tortellini.  After feeding those to him I realized they have a trace of milk, but it doesn't bother him. 

Some dinners of ours that he likes:
--chicken pot pie (recipe from the low fat bisquick box, made with rice milk and I make my own white sauce using dairy free butter--nucoa--and rice milk)
--meat loaf
--spaghetti
--stir fry
--soups w/ the liquid drained off

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 10:52:47 am »
I to would avoid all dairy for a while.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker