Author Topic: 10 month old multiple NW  (Read 750 times)

Offline donvitol

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: January 06, 2008, 03:51:07 am »
my almost 10 month old son has been having many night wakings since I dropped the DF 2 weeks ago.  I dropped the 9:30/10 feed, but now feed him around 4,5,or 6 in the morning.  He did go 2 nights without waking up until that early morning feed, but that was over a week ago.  He is waking up almost every 2 hours some nights.  We go in and pat his back, which sometimes takes a few minutes to put him back down.  We have even started giving him his paci, but even that is not a guarantee.  Should I bring back the DF??  I thought by now he would be used to not having a full stomach all night. 

His schdule has also changed lately.  He is taking a shorter 1st nap, but seems fine with that, is probably starting to transition to 1 nap.  His wake-up time has been all over the place, but is anywhere from 6-7 roughly.

Current schedule:

6:30 wake-up
BF/Solids
3 hours A time
40 min. nap
Solids/BF
A time 3 1/2 hours
1- 1 1/2 hours nap
Solids/BF
A time is 3 1/2- 3 3/4 hours
Solids/BF
Bed around 6:30-7

So should I go back to the DF?  I can't handle getting up so often in the night that much longer, something has got to give...

Offline Bryony

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 141
  • We're in London, UK
Re: 10 month old multiple NW
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 16:01:24 pm »
I'm not sure!   I guess you could try reinstating the DF to see if it helps - maybe he does still need a night feed. Most would have droped the DF by now though....  If you are giving solids before BF, do you think he's getting enough milk?  I still do BF in between solids so I'm not sure how it works if you do it straight after.

A few questions:

What is he doing when he wakes? (grizzling, screaming, chatting?)

Can he get to sleep on his own for naps and bedtime?

Might he be teething or somethign else going on?

You routine looks good - it's on the low side for daily sleep for his age, but within the normal kind of range...  does OT seem like it might be a possibility for you?

Bryony

You only really know what love is when you become a parent

Offline donvitol

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 00:23:33 am »
to answer your questions:

I do think he is getting enough milk.  He completely drains me before bed.  If I feel like I don't have enough for him before bed, I give him a little supplemental bottle. 

When he wakes he is crying/screaming.  We go in and tell him to lay down, sometimes he will on his own.  If not I lay him down and pat his back.

We are working on independent sleep on his own.  He has never been a good napper and has pretty much always fussed when going down.  We got finished with 2 weeks of pu/pd, and i only need to go in a few times now.  So he is kinda going to sleep on his own, but I am still somewhat a presence. 

Yes, teething could be the culprit.  He cut a front tooth 2 weeks ago, and is cutting one today.  So maybe I will wait a few more days and see if that was the reason...

OT could play a little part, but I am doing the best I can for his naps.  He will not sleep any longer than what he already is.  He is getting 11-12 at night, so I think that is helping with the shorter naps during the day. 

Does that help?

Offline Bryony

• We're in London, UK
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 09:06:21 am »
Hi there

That kind of screaming sounds like either pain (teething) or OT.  If it's pain are you giving him pain meds?  If he's OT the best solution would be to put him to bed earlier every night for a week or so and see if that helps

HTH

Bryony

Offline donvitol

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 15:16:51 pm »
So last night he woke up at 8, 10, and someother time, maybe 1? (too out of it to remember the time) and I opened his door, told him to lay down, and he laid down right away and went back to sleep.  But at 4 he was crying and could not be consoled until I fed him.  I am guessing that was a hunger cry?  I didn't feed him all that I had because I like saving some for the morning, but then he wokeup again at 4:30 and once again could not be consoled until I fed him the rest.  He slept until 6. 

I don't really think it is pain, he doesn't cry during the day because of pain, are things different at night?

Offline Bryony

• We're in London, UK
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 15:29:47 pm »
Teething can be worse at night when they are lying down - more blood flow to the area or something I think...  have you tried giving pain meds?  Or may be separation anxiety if he wakes up and finds you aren't there.  in which case just popping in and telling him to go back to sleep is all you can do...

Bryony

Offline donvitol

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 18:48:02 pm »
I haven't tried the pain meds yet, but will try them tonight.  But when he is crying crying at 4 in the morning, do you think that is out of hunger?

Offline Bryony

• We're in London, UK
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 19:41:22 pm »
It could be....  it's so hard to know isn't it! 

If he did OK with the DF before you could try reinstating it and see if it helps - at least that way you would know. Some LOs do still need a night feed until about a year old

Bryony