Author Topic: How long do you work on extending naps?  (Read 874 times)

Offline mimicoto

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: January 08, 2008, 18:48:06 pm »
I'm wondering if my efforts to extend my 6 mo textbook baby are reinforcing the 45 minute nap habit.  He wakes at 45 minutes on the nose for all of his naps.  We have worked on extending them for at least 2 months now (not going in too early, PU/PD as last resort).  He will often go down for a bit more sleep, but never 'sleeps through' for a 'full' nap.  Should we just stop trying to 'help' him go back to sleep?  He rarely gets really wound up when he wakes, so maybe we're jumping in too early.  We have tried extending has A times as we thought it might be time for that, but we just end up with an OT screamer who still needs a catnap at the end of the day.  He's still not going much more than 2 hours between naps.

I should add that he is an amazing night time sleeper - 12 hours each and every night....*ducking to hide from those with night sleep problems*  :D

Offline deckchariot

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 361
Re: How long do you work on extending naps?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 20:09:52 pm »
Have you tried w2s to extend?  That's the only thing that worked to get my dd over the 45 min hump.  Or, if he's waking up happy after 45 min and can make it through the day on that type of sleep, then he may just be a short napper, and I wouldn't worry about it.
Michelle

Offline Lace

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Madison and Mommy
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 20:42:36 pm »
wow..I just came to the computer to ask the same question. I have a two and a half month old that I am currently having to extend naps with and I am curious how long to expect to do this. I can never go anywhere and leave her with a sitter because she will only sleep 45 min without my help and then will be cranky for the sitter. What is the general expectation or sucess rate of doing this??? And for how LONG???? Thanks and hugs to all the 45 min mammas!!
Chantelle
 Mommy to Braydon 1/28/05 and Madison 10/24/07
This sleep stuff id tough!!!

Offline lcpopelka

• Showing Appreciation 1
  • Lorena - Mom to Brian James
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 21:59:53 pm »
I would try extending the A time prior to the nap-- it worked wonders for us.  Typically 45 min means they are not quite tired enough.  Just try extending the A time by 10/15 min and see what happens.

Good luck
"Knowledge is limited; but imagination encircles the world"--Albert Einstein

Offline IndiaJenn

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 09:50:35 am »
Hi mimicoto -- my ds never took long naps and when I really forced it, he stopped sleeping so well at night. When I do it next time (I'm expecting again) -- assuming the next is like him -- I'll just accept the short naps and enjoy the free evenings and "late" (7 or 7:30 wake-up) mornings. Some kids never sleep more than 45 minutes - mine was one of them. He does now that the two naps are combined, but most days he still only sleeps 1.5 hours.

Offline mimicoto

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 19:23:17 pm »
Hi all - thanks for the responses and apologies for the delay in getting back - computer glitch  >:(  Since posting, we've extended the A times just a tiny bit (10-15 mins max) and have left him longer since going in to 'help'....and things are improving....he sleeps 1.5 which I'm fine with, and still needs a catnaps (his is usually a bit more than an hour, but it doesn't affect his night sleep, so I think we'll just leave well enough alone :-)  He's also started at the sitters a couple of days per week which is going famously.  She has a 'sleep zone' in the basement of her home which is quiet, cozy and DARK - and he's sleeping great over there!  It seems to have a spillover effect as well, as I suspect he nods off more quickly if he wakes at 45 mins....