Author Topic: Formula for reflux and allergies any advice?  (Read 1245 times)

Offline tan-and-izzy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Formula for reflux and allergies any advice?
« on: January 16, 2008, 07:43:52 am »
Hi, hope their is somebody there who can help.

I have just had a really bad few days trying to get LO into 4 hour routine, after a 3 days she has started to want to feed all the time again and seems very unhappy. He symptoms have been similar to colic she had before. After some reading I have realised that she probably has reflux and was not feeding well every 4 hours so I think my supply has gone down.

Basically I don't think I can go through another 2 weeks BF like I did with her 4 month growth spur again, when she wanted to feed continuously and would only do so layed down in the bedroom (she is now 19weeks).

She is also showing signs of eczma already and we have asthma, celiac disease and peanut allergy in the close family.

Can anybody recommend a formula in the UK that is OK with reflux and better for allergies. I don't think I will make it out today to see the HV or Dr as we are both exhausted after being up all night but I really want to buy some formula for tonight if she needs it. I can't

stand to think of her being hungry especially if she has got reflux and it is making it flare up.

Please reply soon,

tan-and-izzy

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Formula for reflux and allergies any advice?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 08:09:38 am »
I will have to do a bit of research to see if there are any formulas that you can buy over the counter. I know there is one by SMA for babies with reflux, not sure how well it works though. Having said that I don't think there is anything special about it that would make it better for allergies. If your lo has a allergy/intollerance to milk then you would need a hypo allergenic formula like nutramigen or a elemental formula like neocate. It would depend how severe the allergy is. Some babies do well on a hypo allergenic formula where it has the proteins heavily broken down but some still react to it. My son reacts to these and has to have neocate. I will see what I can find out so I can suggest what the best route might be. Is it possible that you could ring your health visitor or gp and see if they can advise which formula would be best.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline tan-and-izzy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 09:13:42 am »
Hi Kelly,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I mananged to speak to the doctor and her just adviced me to use normal formla with infant gaviscon. He said te eczma is nothing to worry about at er age and is just a reaction to the outside world and I dosen't me she will have allergies. He said only to put her on a hypoallergic formula if she has a reaction to the normal formula.

Thank you so much for the advice I think I am just exhausted at the moment and getting anxious about everything.

Tan-and-izzy

em_here

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 11:21:42 am »
Oh big hugs to you, good luck with the formula, I hope it works out ok for you xxxxxx

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 21:01:38 pm »
I hope the formula works aswell. Big hugs and I hope things get easier soon.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker