Author Topic: Should I wake him up?  (Read 761 times)

Offline EBentley

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 17, 2008, 17:41:38 pm »
This is Day 2 of the 3 hr EASY.  I'm following the exact schedule in the BW Solves all your Problems.   He's 3.5 months old. 

It's going really well.  I can get him calm for a nap within 15 minutes.  If he wake, I pat/shsh for 2mins -15 mins and he's back to sleep. 

He seems to want to sleep longer than the 1.5 hrs, though.  Now, he rarely napped before for more than 30 mins, so this is great. He seems happier, too.  But do I wake him to keep him on schedule?  His feeds last about 20 mins, so I let him sleep 10 mins longer than the schedule, but he still doesn't wake up. So I've turned on the light, gently rolled him from his side and he'll start to wake.  Then I unswaddle when I see eyeballs.  He's waking happy when I do that.  His Awake times are 1.5 hrs like clockwork and were before EASY, too. 

I know in the book it says to try to follow the schedule exactly during the first few days, but not to be obsessed with it after.  At what point would I wake him if he slept too long?  I'm thinking 2 hrs max?

He sleeps very well at night from 830p-700a with one waking.  He regressed to two wakings, but we seemed to have fixed that and are trying to stop that remaining one. 

Offline momtonb&ab

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 234
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 17:51:18 pm »
i expect there are better experts for advice than i, but i would suggest letting him sleep until it is time for the next feed - don't let him sleep beyond your next feed - i always found that if i kept feeding on schedule we would always have good and consistent sleep.   Can he go longer than 3 hours between feeds?  If you thought he could do longer, maybe he is ready for 3.5 or 4 hour easy?  Our guys were really young when they went to 4 hour easy (no night wakings, just dream feed until 16 weeks).....  but if he is happy when he wakes, i would say you are on the right track with 3 hour easy - just wake him for feeds...

i'll be interested to see what other excellent advice the pros here will have for you :)  good luck with easy, it worked a treat for us!!!!

Offline Aly Mac

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 162
  • Such joy!
Re: Should I wake him up?
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 04:35:29 am »
not that I'm an 'expert' but yep, as momtonb&ab said, until the next feed is due.  you don't want him to miss calories at this stage.
Aleesa.....