Author Topic: 19 month old refusing to swallow??  (Read 964 times)

Offline orlasmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 30, 2008, 12:52:42 pm »
Hi, I hope someone can give me some advice. Yesterday I was feeding my 19 month old her lunch and she started holding the food in her mouth and refused to swallow it, it was chicken casserole and she's had it a hundred times before with no problem, then at tea time she did the same with spaghetti bolognese after a few spoons. Then today at lunch after the 1st few spoons she did the same again but this time she stated to gag because she had a lot in her mouth, this upset her and she vomited, then couple of minutes later she vomited again.
This is very unusual behaviour, none of these meals were new and she never vomits, infact she's only ever been sick once before today.
I would really like some advice on what to do here, she doesn't seem ill at all, and as soon as I had her cleaned up after lunch today she was running around in great form, I didn't give her anything else to eat, just put her to bed for her nap.
Does anyone know if there's a reason why she's suddenly started doing this, do you think she's unwell or is it a behavoural/developmental thing, and how should I handle it?
thanks
L

Offline We Three

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 18:14:29 pm »
Wow....sorry I have no advice here...just some hugs. Sounds distressing!!  My d was "squirelling" as we called it when she first started on table foods, but it passed. Not sure why your lo would be doing this suddenly?  Could her throat be sore? 
I hope someone has more to offer you....I'm sure it will pass, but what to do in the meantime?? 
 Hugs....

Offline mum101

• Char
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 138
Re: 19 month old refusing to swallow??
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 05:45:10 am »
I think they go through phases, trying new things out.  Given she vomitted and was upset she mightn't try it again.

My DD went through stages, squishing, throwing, or chewing and spitting it out! 

I wouldn't worry too much, as pp says perhaps she's got a sore mouth today, or perhaps an annoying tooth coming through. If it's teeth or a sore throat, perhaps some soft foods like soup might work.
mumma to 2 former BW babies, DD 11, DS 8