Author Topic: 6mo - 2 feeds at night. Migrate to 1 or work to eliminate both at same time?  (Read 725 times)

Offline lne

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0

DS is almost 6.5mo.  He wakes 3-4x per night, but I only feed twice.  Here's his nominal schedule:

-----------------------------
7           wake and BF(sometimes he's not interested in eating until 7:30 or later)
8:30       solids (not a good eater, but we try every day)
10-11:30 nap (good napper at least!)

12:00     BF
1:30       solids
2:30-4    nap

4:00      BF
5:30      solids
6:30/7   BF and bed

10:00     wakes - PU/PD
11:30-0:30 wakes and BF
3-4:00     wakes and BF
-----------------------------

I have tried feeding him when he wakes at 10pm (a la dreamfeed), but he still wakes at least 2 more times and since he's easy to get back to sleep, I have stopped feeding at 10pm.   If he wakes more often I refuse to feed if it has been less than 3-4 hours since last night feed.

Last night was the first time I used bottles for the two night feeds so I could see how much he takes - each was about 3oz. 

Last bit of background info:  he is really uninterested in eating at 7 or 7:30 which makes me think that it is his nightwaking feeds that are interfering

Finally, on to my question:
Would it be better to try to drop one of the night feeds or at this age, since he is used to getting those two feeds, would it be better to try to slowly eliminate both (using the method in the FAQ where the bottles were gradually watered down)?

thanks !

- Eleni
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 07:14:34 am by lne »

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
If he's only taking 3 oz each time, then you can definitely eliminate at least one if not both. What I would do is start with the 11:30 feed and water that one down. If he starts taking more at the 3/4:00 feed, then he may very well actually need that one. But if not, once the 11:30 feed is eliminated then start watering down the 2nd.  :)
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o