Author Topic: Should we go back to hypoallergenic or what??? Advice  (Read 947 times)

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Should we go back to hypoallergenic or what??? Advice
« on: March 06, 2008, 13:02:43 pm »
We have dealt with reflux, etc. with Tyler since he was born.  We tried every single formula out there and finally landed with Elecare (amino acid).  It took about 1 month and he seemed like a new kid.  Then after being on it for about 1 month he was back to his fussy self, but different than before.  Before it was grutning, groaning, gassy. 

Now it is more, arching back, crying all the time, yucky faces, he makes this noise Uhhh Uhhh and moves his body side to side. 

We stopped the Elecare about a month ago because he was having all liquid poops - no form at all and still was fussy even with taking Zantac 1 ml 3 times per day.

He seems to be handling Enfamil Gentlease formula (1/4% of lactose, partially broken down proteins) fine according to his poop.  Finally they are perfectly normal. No mucus, nothing, just normal :-)  BUT he is SO fussy.

I was convienced that it is just something I am doing wrong with his routine, but now I am not so sure. 

He just started prevacid 15 mg 1 times per day and 2.5 ml of zantac 1 x per day.  BUT I am starting to wonder if we should go back, well try, Alimentum or Nutramigen to see if it will help him.

He sleeps 12 hours at night, but his day time sleep is awful and he wants to eat all the time.  He has always been a big eater (i think for soothing).

We have started solids and I am noticing some of them making his reflux signs worse.  Ex.  Squash this morning, make him fuss, move his body side to side, arch his back.

I don't want to keep switching formula's, but at the same time I want him to be 100% comfortable.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Should we go back to hypoallergenic or what??? Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 19:40:06 pm »
Wendy, has your ds been on nutramigen or alimentum before? I can't remember if he has or not. If not and he is handling a partially broken down formula better than elecare or neocate then it might be worth a try. I think it is probably worth a try at least as it just might make your ds more comfortable.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline motherof3

• Andrea, Paul, Jackie, Payton and Abby
  • Showing Appreciation 21
Re: Should we go back to hypoallergenic or what??? Advice
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 01:41:30 am »
Also, do you think he could be teething??  This really makes reflux worse.  It seems like reflux usually peaks b/w 4-6 months. 

When is he the fussiest??  How is he when he is eating??  Is this when he is arching etc??

You might want to hold off on the solids while you are expermienting with the formula. 

How long has he been on Prevacid??

Andrea

Jackie 3/10/01
Payton 9/23/03