Author Topic: Alimentum Causing Diaper Rash?  (Read 3715 times)

Offline lilmary

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: March 14, 2008, 12:25:24 pm »
Hi All,

My DD is milk/soy sensitive and we recently started her on Alimentum.  At first she hated the taste so much that we had to mix in a little soy to get her to drink it.  About a week ago we finally phased out the soy so she's on straight Alimentum.  Her eczema has improved a great deal and she's fine with the taste of the Alimentum now--BUT she has started have very runny/watery poops and even if I change her right after a bowel movement her diaper area is very red and inflamed. 

She is 5 months old and this is the first time she's had diaper rash.  There's even pea-sized spot that is completely raw.  I've started applying Vaseline after each diaper change in the hopes of creating a barrier b/w her skin and the poop.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks Ladies!

Mary
 >:(

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Alimentum Causing Diaper Rash?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 12:59:54 pm »
My son reacts with these type of bowel movements to certain foods. I think that even though the switch to Alimentum has helped improve your dd's eczema she is still reacting to it but with different symptoms. However I am not a doctor and only going from personal exxperience with my son. I would advise you to discuss this with her paediatrician or whoever prescribed the Alimentum for her.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline donna_issabella

• Showing Appreciation 941
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 16:18:29 pm »
I know that Wendy - mydreamcometrue - had very similar issues with her son, Tyler, and that ev erything else improved but he had runny watery poohs. Blech. You get Elecare in North America which is another hydrolysed formula and then you get Neocate which as an Amino acid based formula. As Kelly said, it might just be somethign else added to the formula to which your LO is reacting. Some have corn starch/suryp in for the carbohydrate and babies can react to that.

I would definitely see my doctor again and have a look on the tin what else is in the formula. My son for example gets exactly the same diaper rach when he eats corn puffs, but he is OK-ish on nutramigen, which is also a hydrolysed formula but with corn syrup in. Strange but true. The fact that your LO's skin has cleared so well is a good sign though. :)

Offline lilmary

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 18:46:32 pm »
Thanks ladies.  I did call the ped and we decided to start some cereal to hopefully thicken the bowl movements.  In the meantime, she got a tooth!  My friends told me that their babies had diaper rashes when they were teething.  I called the ped again and she seemed to think that was it.  She said something in their saliva changes when they teeth and for some babies, when they swallow it and it comes out the other end, it causes some irritation.  The diaper rash is totally gone now that the tooth popped through!

The poos are still pretty liquidy, just the way it is with Alimentum, but they're not bothering her so I can live with that.

Mary

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 01:27:13 am »
Hi Mary!  I am so glad things worked out for you. 

Some babies do react that way to teething. 

I was going to offer some suggestions, but since everything now is fine since the tooth, no need!  That is great.

I hope your daughter is doing well still.

Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!