Author Topic: Wheat Sensitivity?  (Read 1066 times)

Offline 403girl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • "Do I have to have a nap?"
Wheat Sensitivity?
« on: March 14, 2008, 13:48:21 pm »
My son is 1 yr old and I have tried 3 different times to introduce wheat. The first time was when he was 10.5 months. He started having loose bowel movements at night and we were starting PU/PD so I stopped. Then I tried at about 11.5 months and he started NW's and seemed gassy. Then this past week I gave him whole wheat bread (small amounts) and by the 3rd night he woke up screaming... Now, I don't know if it was teething or the wheat. I checked out his mouth as best I can but I don't see any signs of a tooth coming in. Each time I have tried giving him wheat with these experiences it has been over a 3 day period. Usually the NW start after 3 days. I talked to a nurse yesterday who suggested trying again next week with a infant cereal.

I don't think its an allergy - He hasn't had any rashes or diarrea etc... I'm just wondering if he has trouble digesting it. I'm slightly confused about it. From what I have read there are Wheat Allergies or Gluten sensitivity... But he has Oats and Barley all the time and is ok... Does anyone have any info or advice?
Kirsty - Mommy to Joel (02/25/07))

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Wheat Sensitivity?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 13:04:50 pm »
It does sound like your son has an allergy/intollerance to wheat to me. Your ds has reacted all 3 times that you have introduced it so I would doubt it is coincidence. If your ds is allergic/intollerant to wheat then giving it in the form of a baby cereal would not make much difference. If you can manage his diet without wheat for now then I would leave it for at least 3 months before trying again.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline 403girl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • "Do I have to have a nap?"
Re: Wheat Sensitivity?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 20:46:41 pm »
Thanks for your advice! I'm going to wait until he's sleeping better before I introduce anything else.
Kirsty - Mommy to Joel (02/25/07))