Author Topic: Mucousy nappies in 6 week old  (Read 2589 times)

Offline knackered

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
Mucousy nappies in 6 week old
« on: March 21, 2008, 09:57:56 am »
Hi folks.

My 6 week old DS has been very gassy from the moment we brought him home from hospital. I tried infacol but that didn't seem to make a difference and I'm now using colief which does seem to help. I also decided to eliminate dairy from my diet as I'm breast feeding - this is quite hard for me as I love my cereal in the morning and milk in tea and yogurt in the evening. So for the last 3 days I've been eating soy milk as a replacement. However the last couple of days I've noticed that my DS's nappies have been very mucousy and a couple of times yesterday I saw very dark green bits in his nappy - not a full poo but just small marks.

Not sure if it's relevant but he's very congested in his nasal passages too - has been since he came back from the hospital.

Any ideas what's going on? Could he be allergic to soy as well as dairy?

TIA
Anna x
Anna x

Offline knackered

Re: Mucousy nappies in 6 week old
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 10:10:59 am »
I should add that he's thriving. There are no issues with weight gain. He mostly settles well after feeds since I've been using the colief but he does have a very unsettled period every morning from about 4am to 5.30 during which he's obviously in some discomfort.

Thanks
Anna x
Anna x

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 13:51:45 pm »
It sounds like your ds has signs of allergy/intollerance to dairy and soy. I am not a doctor though and would definately advise you to seek medical advice regarding this.

In the meantime you could try eliminating soy aswell as dairy and see if symptoms clear.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline knackered

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 14:30:08 pm »
Hmm - thanks for that. Will take him to the docs next week.

Thanks again.
xx
Anna x

Offline birdie

• Showing Appreciation 127
  • Wyoming, USA
    • The Doula Advantage
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 04:59:35 am »
My DS thrived yet develope really mucousy diapers around that age. Actually, he continued to thrive despite a deteriating digestive situation.

I tried elimiating milk and soy (+peanut butter as it is closely related to soy) from my diet, which was very difficult...especially in December. I was very strict and would not even eat things with the warning that they were manufactored in a plant containing other milk items. After 2 weeks of no change, I also elimated wheat.

Determining your child's specific allergen/s can be frustrating. We ended up taking him off BM so his little colon could heal. And unfortunately for all of us, he still can tolerate EBM free of milk, soy and wheat. I wish I knew a complete list of his allergens but the discovery process was too difficult on him. BUT...I now have an extremely happy baby...as long as I don't mess with his diet.

I would support talking to your doctor as s/he can do a quick test to make sure he is not bleeding from his colon.
Certified Birth Doula (CBI)

Mom of Four Angels: WENDY

Always Remembered: REECE BRADFORD born still at 38 weeks (August 4, 2006)

Our Miracle Boy: IAN MICHAEL (October 17, 2007)

Offline knackered

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 08:49:54 am »
It's interesting you mention eliminating wheat. I've decided that I need to do that too - after my DS spent an hour screaming with pain at 3.30am. The only thing I can put it down to is I ate 3 slices of homemade bread late last night. I've long had a suspicion that I have a slight intolerance to wheat -- I think it makes me gassy! But I love bread and pasta so much I've never tried to eliminate it from my diet. But now I have a reason to do it. But I'm going to miss it.

x
Anna x

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 13:10:56 pm »
Good luck with the elimination diet. It can be hard but if you get good results it will be worth it.

Kelly

Offline knackered

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 16:30:54 pm »
How long does it take to get rid of gluten out of the system do you know? I've been off it for 2 days now and last night was the first night my LO didn't spend hours wriggling around in pain in the early hours and he's done nothing but sleep today. Is that too early to see a difference?

x
Anna x

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 19:26:28 pm »
First signs of improvement can happen very quickly but it can take 2-6 weeks roughly to get back to baseline. I hope your lo carries on sleeping well for you and its not just a coincidence. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Kelly

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 01:32:15 am »
Interesting.  I am sensitive to gluten as well.  I have IBS symptoms very badly.  Have you ever been tested for Celiac Disease? 

Hopefully you are just sensitive to it.  That is great that he was doing better. 

Personally I don't think it is to early to see a difference.  How about you personally, do you feel any better.

How are things going today?
Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline birdie

• Wyoming, USA
    • The Doula Advantage
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 19:36:05 pm »
When I was doing the elimination diet, our pediatrician had me wait at least a week. She explained that food items have to work through your body and then the baby's, so it can take a bit of time. For Ian, we had to give it a lot of time because his system was so inflamed by that point...it took a while to heal.

Good luck,
Wendy

Offline knackered

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 19:16:37 pm »
Well - things are going well.  My DS seems even more settled since I cut out the gluten - he's doing nothing but sleep at the moment, though he's still waking for food at least twice in the night. His snuffles also seem to be going - which is great. I took him to the cranial osteopath yesterday which could have helped but my feeling is that this elimination diet is really working for him (and me - I'm so less gassy! TMI perhaps?).

I'm hoping it's just wheat that he has a problem with rather than gluten as this would make my life a hell of a lot easier - how do I tell? Also can I eat goat's and sheep's milk and cheese? Does this count as dairy? It would be lovely if I could.

Anna x
Anna x

Offline birdie

• Wyoming, USA
    • The Doula Advantage
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 19:29:39 pm »
Anna,

I am glad you are seeing improvements.

I am not sure about how to tell the difference between wheat and gluten intolerance.

As for the other sources of milk and cheese, I was guess no. However, you could research how their milk proteins differ from cow and soy milk proteins. I am curious what others say.

Good luck.