Author Topic: is it possible for a milk allergy to show up at 5mo  (Read 1091 times)

Offline maxsmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
is it possible for a milk allergy to show up at 5mo
« on: March 22, 2008, 16:34:11 pm »
I feel a little dumb asking this question but my 5 mo old son has recently developed a red rash on either side of his face (around his temples) and he has started having red, hot to the touch cheeks which seem to coincide with eating formula.
Up until 2.5 weeks ago he was EBF but for a variety of reasons I have begun to introduce formula (Enfamil-Lipil) about 2x/day.  That was when the rash and red check stuff started.  Also, my formerly "regular" boy now only poops every 3-4 days.  On the breastmilk only diet he pooped everyday.  Finally, he has always been a big time spitter-upper!  The spitting up happens about 1 hour after eating and sometimes seems to cause discomfort.  I always attributed that to a mild case of reflux.
I never restricted my dairy intake while breastfeeding him and infact probably eat more dairy than I should on a daily basis.
BTW, none of the above signs/symptoms seem to bother him much...except maybe the spitting up occasionally.
I guess it couldn't hurt to cut dairy out of my diet for awhile but should I go as far as feeding him soy based formula? 
I am waiting for a call back from the pediatrician but in the meantime has anybody ever heard of an allergy showing up so late?
Thanks - Britt

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: is it possible for a milk allergy to show up at 5mo
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 12:56:18 pm »
It could be that your lo can tolerate dairy through your breastmilk and not directly. Howevere the spitting up could be a symptom aswell so it may be worth eliminating dairy from your diet and see what happens. If you could it would be better to go back to ebf whilst doing this, otherwise you could look into a soy formula or a hypoallergenic formula. Something to bare in mind is that some lo's with a dairy allergy/intollerance also react to soy aswell so that would be something you would need to monitor.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: is it possible for a milk allergy to show up at 5mo
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 01:22:44 am »
Hello and welcome to BW!  Could he be teething?  He is at that age to start teething and so many little ones get a red rash on their face/ red hot cheeks from teething.

His poop is perfectly normal since his body is adjusting to formula.  Regular milk based formula can be hard on lo's.

You could always try Enfamil Gentlease.  It is still milk based, but partially broken down, so it easier for them. 

What did your ped say when you called?  Have you re-searched soy based formula's? 

Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!