Author Topic: allergies, teething, or nothing  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Julie C

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Maybe an Angel and Textbook Turkey
« on: May 08, 2008, 19:58:59 pm »
Our Lo has recently gradually worked he way up to one BF and 3 formula feeds (instead of all BF, then 3 BF, then 2 BF -- within about 1.5 months). We haven't switched formula in all this time.

We also started wheat cereal the other day.

I'm noticing her skin feels bumpy on her legs and arms (although you can't see anything), and she has a patch of something scaley (it comes and goes, though) on the side of her mouth. She also has a couple of little scaley patches on her thigh (although this patch looks different than the one on her face)

We've stopped the wheat, but all of it still seems to be there 2 days later. I'm wondering if it's the formula? Or if the one around her mouth is just from the fact that she drools all day.

It doesn't seem to be bothering her. Maybe it's nothing?

Julie

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: allergies, teething, or nothing
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 04:12:06 am »
Hi!  My first thought was it could be the wheat.  It may take a few days to clear out of her system.

DS2 had a reaction to Oatmeal and it took a few days to clear up his rash on his face.

Have you changed soaps, detergents, anything else that comes in contact with her skin at all?

How long has she been on the formula?  I think it would be odd that she would just know be showing a sign to the formula.

I don't think teething would cause the bumpy skin on her legs and stuff.  Does it look like goose bumps? 

DS2 had this and it gets worse with certain foods.  The doctor said it is cause KP -Keratosis Pilaris.

Since you have stopped wheat, if it clears up, then I would try wheat one more time to see if the rash comes back.  If it does, you will for certain.

Good Luck, Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 06:42:20 am »
That was really good advice given by Wendy. I have to say that my first thought was wheat aswell. I suppose it is possible that your lo could tolerate some formula but as the formula has increased it is causing a problem. I would definately be more suspicios of the wheat though and like Wendy said it could still be in your dd's system. I would give it at least a week to notice a difference.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Julie C

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 14:48:29 pm »
I think you are right. It's been only a couple of days since we stopped wheat and it is already starting to clear up. Her face is still rashy -- but everything else is going away. I think the rash around her mouth is drool -induced. lol.

I have a doc's appt on Tuesday thankfully. We'll have to discuss what to do next, I guess.

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 03:31:06 am »
Hi, just checking back through some old post.

Wondering how it is going and if you stopped the wheat and the rash cleared up?

Like I said DS2 got a bad rash with oats, but I am starting to think the little bit of food he gets with wheat is causing a problem.

Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Julie C

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 16:52:54 pm »
WE stopped the wheat for a couple of days, and it never cleared up. I mentioned it at our doctor's appt, and he suggested trying the wheat again to see if it made it worse.

We tried the wheat again, and nothing happened. About a week later, it was all gone. Maybe just dry skin?

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 02:55:46 am »
Great, glad to hear it.  Good thing it was not the wheat.  It is so hard to avoid that.

Wendy
Wendy -