Author Topic: 7 1/2 month old refuses to sleep - 2 hrs of crying!  (Read 784 times)

Offline skeckie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
7 1/2 month old refuses to sleep - 2 hrs of crying!
« on: May 14, 2008, 03:30:09 am »
i have been trying to get my son on EASY for almost 3 weeks now.  he is mostly spirited and somewhat textbook.  i have read tracy's first and third books cover to cover over and over and have been doing everything i can.  my son has never been a consistent napper but he also wakes several times through the night. (no he doesnt take full feeds at night.)

when he just starts to get tired i place him in his crib and half the time he's okay and falls asleep after a few minutes of crying but half the time he puts up a major fight.  he has cried for a hour and a half to two hrs and 15 min with PU/PD not helping in the least.  i usually dont hold him much because he puts up such a fight.  ive never given in but i've taken him out only when it's time to eat again.  his naps are usually 30 min but will occaisonally take a nap for about an hour.  i think he'd really give tracy a run for her money. i've reviewed the 10 reasons not to use PU/PD and they dont apply to us.  he's tired to begin with or has had a short nap before i use it after a heavy hand on him has not worked.  i'm not shushing or patting him anymore.

i am beside myself on what to do.  i feel like giving up because it has only caused me more anguish to have him crying for hours every day when before he would always be a happy boy and sleep when he was tired instead of being forced to sleep on a schedule.  iv'e tried to be flexible i've tried to be rigid with routine too.  his night time sleeping remains unchanged.  he's not over tired because we have a 30 min wind down period.  i literally spend most of my day preparing him for or trying to help him sleep.

no, ive never left him to CIO and there is no crib fear.  he'll play and play in there.

WHAT DO I DO?  give up?  pull my hair out?  WHAT?!?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 03:52:33 am by skeckie »

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
Re: 7 1/2 month old refuses to sleep - 2 hrs of crying!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 04:05:06 am »
Could you post your routine?
How was he falling asleep in the past before starting EASY?

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline skeckie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 04:59:02 am »
i have him on the 4hr easy tracy has in her third book.  for naps and bedtime i change him and we wind down for the 20-30 min with rocking and reading books quietly.  when he gets sleepy i gently place him in his crib. he eats his solids at the 11am and 7pm feedings.  if he doesnt get a bath he gets his face and hands wiped down and changed into pajamas with a new diaper. is that what you mean? 
he used to nurse to sleep and i have been cosleeping with him for the second half of the night because i am so tired and DH feels he's off duty during the night since im a SAHM.  i guess that's part of the problem.

Offline brenda2

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 227
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 17:15:54 pm »
big hugs to you!  :-*

can you post what you did yesterday (what actually happened, not what your ideal is) like this:
7 wake and bottle
9:30- 11 sleep
11 bottle

including NWs and night feeds

just an example, do you kwim?

yes, taking him into your bed is probably part of the problem because you're not giving him consistent signals.  how are you doing the pu/pd?  can you give me a description?

does he ever fall asleep on his own or do you always have to help him?  paci?

sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a better idea of what's going on so i can help.

if he's still on 3 naps this may be part of the problem too, around this age most Los drop to just 2 naps...