Author Topic: What now ??? First meal a puky disaster!  (Read 4123 times)

Offline Alison_3

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
Re: What now ??? First meal a puky disaster!
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 00:12:37 am »
You've received wonderful advice, but I wanted to drop off some big hugs to you and Hayden.   We've struggled with solids too and did allergy testing, but like Wendy mentioned if it's an intolerance it won't show up on the test. 

Please keep me posted!

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline marensmama

• Showing Appreciation 202
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 02:08:04 am »
Thanks Alison! :)
Nicole - Mom to My Lovely Girls

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 02:11:50 am »
And FWIW, Mouse will probably toilet train about the same time as Maren.  Maybe we should teach them to change their own pull ups?  They make those in sizes up to adult ya know.  ;)  
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline marensmama

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 02:33:01 am »
lol Jen, I was just posting on a PT thread where you were!  They're going to need some understanding husbands!! ;)

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 06:01:55 am »
I think you have been given some great advice. I just thought I would send some big squishy hugs.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline marensmama

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 17:26:21 pm »
Thanks Kelly and everyone else.  Called the paed today, they referred me back to our GP ??? since it's a new problem.  Apparently that's how it works here, but tbh that doesn't thrill me.  Soonest we could get in was tomorrow at 12:30 with GP.  She's been fine ever since that one icky diaper and bout of vomiting, on just breastmilk, so I'm sure it must be an allergy/intolerance.  Trouble is, it's next to impossible to see an allergist here, so I'm sure I'm going to get a bit of a brush-off!

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 21:55:19 pm »
I would bang my head in frustration for you, but that would hurt lots!!! 
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline marensmama

Re: What now ??? First meal a puky disaster!*UPDATE*
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 03:27:39 am »
Today we saw the GP, had very little success.  All in all, he's nice, has been helpful, is understanding, sees us right away, bla bla bla.  He delivered both my girls and I appreciate his gentle demeanor.  Today I question the validity of what he has to say.  Now before anyone tells me to find a new doctor, please realize that they are soooo hard to find here that you don't just give one up on the basis of one bad visit.

Basically, he said I probably fed her too much at once and should try rice cereal again but give her only a teaspoon for the first meal.  I mixed up 1/4 cup, she ate maybe 1/2 of that with lots of mess.  OK, so that does seem like a fair bit, I certainly didn't force it on her and stopped at the first no more signal that I got.  (She fed herself but I took bowl away the minute there was a full cue.)  I told him that I was concerned about rice and that from what I'd read if she reacted to rice, she'd react to most grains.  So he told me to try her on corn ???  Am I missing something?  I thought corn was a pretty big allergen.  I asked about oats and he said ideally I should feed her more rice to see if she really is allergic.  Or if I just wanted to BF her for another few months and give her iron drops that would be fine too.  I'm actually not opposed to that idea, since she is doing well with BFing weight-wise and my supply is fine.  He seemed pretty stuck on cereal as a first food, but I don't think I want to go that route anymore.  I'm reluctant to try rice again.  For what, really?  If she is truly allergic to it, then we'd have another reaction and I don't want to put her through that.  Besides, I can try Baby MumMums down the road once we're more established and see if she reacts then.  I know there are other grains to try, but I think I'm gonna go the blw route and start with high iron foods like legumes.  That's a post for the solids board I know...

So, what would everyone else do?   Am I out of line?  Did I possibly feed her too much?  Do I try rice again or just go with BLW and find some high iron foods to start her with?  Do I try oatmeal instead?

TIA!

Offline marensmama

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2008, 23:29:08 pm »
I took Hayden to the health unit to get more immunizations and  asked the nurse about this issue.  Her DD happened to have many food allergies with anaphylaxis so I felt comfortable taking her advice.  She suggested we try rice again in tiny amounts because if she does have a rice allergy then we are likely in for lots of allergies, so it would be good to know.  I gave her some today and she does seem a bit fussy (maybe teething? - she was fussy yesterday too) and hasn't thrown up yet so that's good.  But she has been making her 'horsey' noise all day like she does when her reflux is bad. ???  We just increased her dose two weeks ago because it became apparent that she'd outgrown her dose of Ranititdine and she is noticeably better.  She got very inactive and sleeps weren't as good as well as making the horsey noise like she's trying to clear her throat.

So is it possible that the teensy bit of rice cereal made her reflux worse today?  Is it coincidentally worse?  Is the feeling of solids in her tummy close to what the reflux feels like?  I feel like our GP and Paed. aren't too interested in helping us solve this, my GP in particular always says she's fine and makes me feel like I take her in unnecessarily when really, she's got so many problems.  I feel like I have Munchausen's Syndrome by Proxy.

Ideas?

Offline liacarmen

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2008, 04:05:17 am »
Sending some hugs along, I'm feeling for you reading your post. I decided not to do the cereal at all after reading about the iron thing that Emma talked about above, so I probably wouldn't give it again. Try a bit of pears, they're so nice and sweet and low allergy I'll bet she'd love them. It sounds like you're concerned you're not getting good care, would it be possible to travel to BC to see a doc? I think a visit to a naturopath might give some different insight on things to try. If Seattle is a possibility, I know a great one I can PM you!