Author Topic: 7.5 Months Trouble with Afternoon Nap  (Read 784 times)

Offline lulu78

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
7.5 Months Trouble with Afternoon Nap
« on: June 14, 2008, 02:08:57 am »
Hi there,

My 7.5 month old DS used to be wonderful in the nap department but for the last few weeks has had trouble with his afternoon nap. Here is our usual routine:

7am - wake, bottle
8:15am - breakfast
9am - nap
11am - bottle
12:15pm - lunch
1/1:30pm - nap
3pm - bottle
5:15pm - dinner
6pm - bath
6:30 - bottle and sleep till morning

He consistently sleeps 2 hours in the morning and for the most part sleeps through the night. He shows signs of being tired around 1 or sometimes 1:30 so I try to put him down. He will then either fall asleep and wake up 30 minutes later playing or crying and either way refuse to go back to sleep OR he will play awhile in his crib, eventually fall asleep, but wake up 30 minutes or so later. I know this is not enough sleep for him because now that we've dropped the 5pm catnap, he is very cranky in the evening and usually falls asleep when I give him his evening bottle. I've tried putting him down around 5pm for a catnap but he refuses that as well and I hate to regress since we've already given it up.

I would appreciate any advice!! 

Offline deckchariot

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 361
Re: 7.5 Months Trouble with Afternoon Nap
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 18:27:02 pm »
hmmm...generally I would say a 30 min nap indicates OT, but his A time is actually pretty short for his age (most lo's are close to 3 hrs at his age), so I'm wondering if you could stretch his A time in the am and the pm?  Have you tried that?  Also, is anything developmental going on?  new skills?  teething?  All of that can mess up sleep too.

hth
michelle
Michelle

Offline lulu78

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 16:15:23 pm »
Thanks for your reply Michelle. He just got a few new teeth and has had a cold so that could be it but I feel like it's more of a pattern developing rather than just. We tried keeping him up a little later yesterday afternoon and put him down around 2pm. He went to sleep about 5 minutes later just fine but woke 30 minutes later crying really hard.. loud, shrieky cries. We tried to put him back to bed but it didn't work. We took him on a walk later around 5pm and he crashed in his stroller for about 30 minutes.

I do think we need to increase his A time.. I've had him on the same schedule for a few months now and I think it's time to adjust.

I'll let you know how today goes!

Offline deckchariot

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 19:21:40 pm »
If he's just getting over teething and a cold, it may take a bit for him to settle back into a solid routine.  I'd increase A time really slowly - just 10 min every 3 days, that way you give him time to adjust to the new routine.  But If he's still feeling poorly, I'd wait.

how's today?
Michelle

Offline lulu78

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 02:33:28 am »
Today went better. I was working but my babysitter said that he slept great this morning and then from 2:30 to 3:30 this afternoon. Yay!! Maybe his routine just needed a little adjusting.  :) I guess we will see! Thanks!

Offline deckchariot

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 12:38:06 pm »
YAY!!!  every good day is worth celebrating :)
Michelle