Author Topic: No interest in lunch......  (Read 1271 times)

em_here

No interest in lunch......
« on: June 17, 2008, 19:26:39 pm »
DD is 17 months  :o :o :o :o sorry, just shocks me!!!

Recently she has started rejecting lunch.  Now this is a prob for me, only because, due to her MSPI still haunting her we have had to take soy and milk away for a while again  :'( :'( :'(

So brekkie is usually cheerios and milk (rice milk from now  :'( ) , and then dinner is meat, potatoes and veg in various combinations lol, so like maybe fish, potatoes, and various veg, and then another day a hearty stew and so on and on seems limited with no milk and soy

My mum said to me today she is sure she has lost a little weight, and she does look like she has but also could be due to stretching.........

Should I just offer snacks throughout the morning ??? ??? ???

I am finding this MSPI thing so limiting again, we had a good diet set up with milk and soy based products but then her poo gradually got looser and looser, skin broke out etc...

Dont know what to do ??? ??? ??? btw we start calcium supps tomorrow for lack of calcium, but what on earth is as high fat as dairy products?

any thoughts?  xxx

Ta xxxxx  :-*

Offline *Vicki*

• Lazy Spice
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • mischief makers........
Re: No interest in lunch......
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 19:41:01 pm »
Hugs hun....Im pretty much in the same boat on limited food intake due to lack of choice right now so im interested to hear what others say..... :-*  :-*

poor Abbi  :'(
Mummy to

Megan Marjorie Alice 12/07/03
and
Cerys Elizabeth Rose 29/05/07

Offline Vicku

• "There is no way to happiness -happiness IS the way"
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 11:30:40 am »
Hey hun,

just saw this and noticed noone had replied to you both.
I don't have a massive amount of advice to give, but I was wondering what snacks she does have in am? Could it be that she's snacking and therefor losing her appetite for lunch? My DD can only have a very small snack of fruit (if any) between brekkie and lunch, otherwise she won't eat her lunch well.

Might be that she's older that she looks like she's lost weight (happened to DD) as they grow lengthwise and lose some of the baby fat, but maybe you should weigh her so you know she's not losing any and can keep track so you don't worry unduly.

With regards to high fat products that are dairy free, you can try adding extra oil in her food. Like olive oil, or if she finds the flavour too strong, rape seed oil. DD has excema and I was adviced to give her a tsp of linseed oil (flaxseed oil) a day as it's a very good source of essential fatty acids. Funnily enough DD actually loves it and takes it happily traight from the teaspoon. Might be worth a try?

Otherwise, things like avocado, bacon and salmon has a lot of fats in (salmon obviously healthier than bacon :))
Also, have you tried cooking with oat-cream? I used it when I had to avoid dairy, and it was even better than the soy cream I thought. You get it from the long-life milk shelf in bigger supermarkets (got mine from ASDA)

HTH a little sweetie!
"Very Proud Mummy Blessed with 3 Spirited Girls"
[url=http://daisypath.com][img]

I Breastfed DD1 9.5 months and DD2 21.5 months
"Babies don't sleep, they are only on charge"

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 14:09:33 pm »
Well I did dairy free for thomas till he was just over 18 mos and do dairy free for emily and tbh I'm so used to it that I find it hard to cokk WITH dairy LOL!
Not sure I understand your Q tho...are you looking to make meals fattier OR she isnt interested in lunch?
Here's what mine eat at that age
Meat of all types
Veg of all types
Rice
Fish
Pasta
Semolina (they loved it made with an egg usually)
Stews
Bakes
hmmm cant think what else

Offline ehanway

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 00:31:26 am »
Hey,
I had a doctor recommend eggs and meat.  Are those ok for your dd's diet?I give my dd a piece of sausage with breakfast.  Deli meat is good for snacks, too.  Was going to suggest putting butter on stuff but then remembered that you can't do dairy.  Hmm...  Amazing how limiting it is to eliminate a whole food group isn't it?  ::)  Oh wait,  how about peanut butter.  It has become a staple with us.
Afraid I haven't been much help.  Good luck!

Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 05:51:17 am »
Oh no, that whole MSPI thing is a drag, it seems like the distant past for us thankfully, as PP mentioned avocado, adding olive oil and nut butter are good fats. When L was on rice milk if she hadn't eaten much during the day I would add rice protein powder to her milk, smelled foul but was tasteless, looked like a cafe latte!

As for lunch, my DD has no interest whatsoever but most days I multi task and make her a packed lunch and take my dog for a walk so she eats in the pushchair, not only is she not screaming to get out but she eats a really good lunch  ;) This way she will eat a sandwich made with one slice of bread, a piece of cheese (I know you can't do that) and a some fruit and then even sometimes a fruit leather, this is compared to, for example yesterday when she ate at home one bite of a sandwich and a single grape  ::)
Katt

em_here

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 10:01:32 am »
thanks ladies, will be back to reply later when dd is in bed :)

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 06:21:38 am »
Both my boys have never been big on the lunch thing, infact in younger days would fall asleep before it & survive with morning & afternoon tea. I have always offered a big morning tea - infact ds1 generally still has more for morning tea than lunch at preschool  LOL

They get something of this combination for morning & afternoon tea depending on how lunch will pan out.
Corn or rice cakes with butter or Margarine
small bowl of popcorn
cut up fruit 1/2 apple each, sultanas, grapes, orange etc
chunks of avocado on a cracker - tried hommus no go with my 2
raisin or fruit toast
crumpets or muffins with marg & jam
Sometimes even left over sausages or rissoles
afternoon tea will sometimes include a cake (with veg in it) or "potato" pikelets (small amount of milk, which could be rice milk... I blend up 2-3 med potatos, a small flowerette of cauliflower add 1 egg, 2 cubes of zuchinni puree & 1 of lentil puree &  then blend with milk until the consistency of pikelets/hotcakes & then cook in the pan. they like them with jam on them.

Like Skatty I often find ds2 eats his lunch better when we are away from home so some days I pack it & take him on errands... amazingly I tried on clothes while he ate his lunch the other week first time in years I've been able to do that with a child in tow LOL
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 07:19:09 am »

"potato" pikelets (small amount of milk, which could be rice milk... I blend up 2-3 med potatos, a small flowerette of cauliflower add 1 egg, 2 cubes of zuchinni puree & 1 of lentil puree &  then blend with milk until the consistency of pikelets/hotcakes & then cook in the pan. they like them with jam on them.

They sound great, I am definitely trying them! Sorry to be dumb but I guess the potato and cauliflower are cooked aren't they? I also do morning/afternoon tea/snack, Leorah has toasted fruit bread with butter, crackers with avocado or egg, natural yoghurt with fruitpuree and cottage cheese mixed in or sometimes a smoothie, I think the informality of not having to sit at the table for a meal helps.
Katt

em_here

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 08:23:44 am »
Great ideas ladies! She only has half a banana as a snack now mid morning and that seems to have increased her appetite a little. This MSPI thing is deffo a drag, its driving me CRAZY lol. Thanks Katet, those ideas are brilliant, thanks so much :)

Thanks Elizabeth, forgot about eggs lol yes she is fine with them thankfully :)

Thanks for the ideas too Michelle :)

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 22:58:17 pm »
Skatty yes I cook them... I was playing around with some left over mash & that was how it originated... I'm one of those cooks who doesn't measure etc, so that was as close as I could come to acuraccy
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05