Author Topic: Can a kiddo still be allergic, even with negative testing?  (Read 1289 times)

Offline momtoandrewandthomas

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Can a kiddo still be allergic, even with negative testing?
« on: June 27, 2008, 02:56:35 am »
I am wondering if anyone else has had negative allergy skin and/or RAST testing but their child is still demonstrating allergic symptoms?

Thomas has tested negative for both but since I have been vigilant about writing down reactions to foods, I have noticed that he gets itchy on his neck, face, eyes, bottom and arms when he has hidden dairy or soy.  He also gets increased redness on the eczema patches on his face and just yesterday sprouted a few new ones when a 4 year old handed him a Cheez-it and he ate half of one.  It is interesting to me.  Is this still MSPI or is it an allergy or both?

We see our GI next Tuesday for follow up and I will definitely ask her.

Any info or experiences would be appreciated!!
Jen - pediatric physical therapist and wife to Brian
Mom to Andrew - 5 1/2 sensitive preemie
           Thomas - 2 1/2 MSPI textbook baby

Kindergarten is stressing me out!!!!

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Can a kiddo still be allergic, even with negative testing?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 02:09:15 am »
YES!!!  Were you by chance avoiding those foods when he was  tested?

It may not be an actual allergy or a bad allergy, but deft. an intolerance.

Tyler (my 9 month old) tested negative to oats, but everytime we have given them, he gets this awful huge red hot rash on his face.

The allergist seemed confused about it, but I could care less because he want have oats.

Me personally, I tested positive to several foods, but can eat them with no problems. 

So I think the test can be wrong.

How was his mood and digestive system after he something with milk?

Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline momtoandrewandthomas

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 02:31:18 am »
Wendy - when we had him tested come to think of it he was off milk but still on soy (they used the silk I had with me to test him).  It was not for very long, and this was after about 16 months of difficulty without any diagnosis or elimination of any kind.

I have been closely watching and documenting over the last month and offering tiny bits of hidden dairy or soy about 5 days or so apart just to see, since the GI was convinced after blood tests that he is neither intolerant or allergic to anything and i was just making a big deal over nothing.  I took your advice and started a food journal.  I also wrote down corresponding behaviors and skin reactions.  Like today for example: He had 1/2 a cheez-it at a friend's house (well-meaning 4 year old) on Tuesday and still today we are pooping green sludge and pushing on his belly and very irritable; better of course than yesterday and late Wednesday, but it takes about 3-4 days to clear his system even with laxitives.  I am convinced as well that there are components of both intolerance and allergy going on.  I could care less what the tests say, I know what I see and live daily.  I will keep him on the elim. diet  (which he thrives on) forever if I have to. 

I know myself - I have lactose intol and I attended a bridal shower last weekend and ate something that did not agree with me and I suffered in pain and felt awful until late Tuesday.  God bless our little troopers!!!  I can't imagine feeling like that everyday and having no idea why!

Thanks for your help
Jen
Jen - pediatric physical therapist and wife to Brian
Mom to Andrew - 5 1/2 sensitive preemie
           Thomas - 2 1/2 MSPI textbook baby

Kindergarten is stressing me out!!!!

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 02:45:09 am »
Oh wow.  yeah deft. sounds like he has a problem with milk. Poor baby. 

I personally don't think GI doctors take the time to really research or know about food intolerances.  They just see negative on the test and say "nope, not allergic".

Since he was off milk though, that may be why he showed negative also. 

I know it is so frustrating though, you just want to know if you are doing the right thing.

I hope your doctor really takes the time to listen to you.  I think showing him the very detailed food diary will show, that you are serious and not making it up.

Hugs, Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!