Author Topic: spitting up more then usual  (Read 1118 times)

Offline SleeplessAiden

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • At the beach with Daddy
spitting up more then usual
« on: June 30, 2008, 23:58:54 pm »
My little boy has always spit up really easily.  I never suspected a reflux problem since it never seemed to bother him and GP said some babies just do that.  Now he has been more then usaul and I'm wondering if it is because he's more active now (just started crawling) or if it might be caused by a food allergy.  Thanks!

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: spitting up more then usual
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 01:12:16 am »
Hello there:  Does he seem like he is in pain or in discomfort, any rashes?

Normally with an allergy or an intolerance, they will either show some sign of a reaction.  It may be a rash or extreme fussiness from GI upset. 

If he is happy and just spitting up a little more now, I would not worry at all.  It is proably just from him crawling around and being more active and the food shaking around.
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline momtoandrewandthomas

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 11:48:39 am »
Also, with the warmer temperatures, sometimes they are more prone to spitting up.  They don't call them happy spitters for nothing!!!  I would continue to keep a close eye on him to see if any other of the signs or symptoms that Wendy mentioned begin to come forth.

With my Thomas, he started out great, but then things went downhill like a mudslide.  Many "innocent" symptoms were really indicative of food intolerances, but he appeared so healthy that they went undetected for 15 months.  Some resistance from the pedi also came into play.  I would begin to write down things you are seeing in relation to how he sleeps and poops.  i would also  write down foods he eats and when he spits up.  Our memories become very hazy when we have to recall a month or 2 of time at one appointment.  Writing down his schedule or lack therof may give you some insight.  i really wish I had done it sooner.  Just the fact that you even mention food allergies and based on your login name, it sounds like more may be going on.

Good luck.
Jen
Jen - pediatric physical therapist and wife to Brian
Mom to Andrew - 5 1/2 sensitive preemie
           Thomas - 2 1/2 MSPI textbook baby

Kindergarten is stressing me out!!!!

Offline SleeplessAiden

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • At the beach with Daddy
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 19:20:50 pm »
No, he doesn't seem to be in pain at all and no rashes.  He's almost always happy and playful.  I have been writng down what and when he's eating and how he reacts to it.  I'll start adding when he's spitting up more. 
Thank you both, I worry about over looking something all the time!

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 17:44:41 pm »
If he is happy, then I would not worry.

I would give a million dollars to have had a happy baby.  Niether of my kids were ever happy babies :(  Both had reflux and my 3 year old still does.

Like you said though, just watch it and note when it is worse.

Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline momtoandrewandthomas

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 11:48:18 am »
I hear you Wendy.  I had two cranky-pants babies too.  My Andrew was a preemie mess of sensitivities and still exhibits them.  My Thomas could have been happy if we had a diagnosis closer to his birth instead of killing his GI system with things he could not process.  He is happy now, but in the throws of being two and that is challenging in itself. 

Happiness as a tiny baby has eluded me too!!!  Oh well, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger right?  My Andrew (5 1/2) never slept through the night until Thomas was born (my one gift!)!! He was 3. 
Jen - pediatric physical therapist and wife to Brian
Mom to Andrew - 5 1/2 sensitive preemie
           Thomas - 2 1/2 MSPI textbook baby

Kindergarten is stressing me out!!!!