Author Topic: how do I stop her having the bottle?????  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Hev1179

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
how do I stop her having the bottle?????
« on: July 23, 2008, 09:43:42 am »
My little girl is nearly 3, and still has the bottle, I have been really soft on her as she was intolerant of both Dairy and Gluten, so I have allowed the bottle of dairy free formula to continue to ensure she is getting enough calcium, now she can have some cows milk I need to get rid of the horrible bottle but she had developed such a Strong mind, I am struggling!!! I have tried the milk in cups etc and she throws them back at me and screams, if I refuse the bottle she is Hell and will scream and shout ( which is okay ish) but she will then go on to batter/bite and kick her older sister,
Any ideas??

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Re: how do I stop her having the bottle?????
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 17:47:17 pm »
i used the Nuby cups with quite a bit of success.  it's a sippy cup, but it has a soft spout like a bottle nipple.  due to the new info about BPA, i have no idea if they are still available, but you might be able to find something similar. 
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline emmas

• Showing Appreciation 45
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 17:50:41 pm »
I use the Nuby cup too - If not I've read on here to cut a slash in teat then the next day cut it the other way so you have a cross - that way the milk just pours out and they can't suck!

There is a FAQ somewhere with some other tips!

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 17:55:30 pm »
Natalie actually understood the day I looked at the alignment of her teeth and saw them going a little weird and told her she'd have to give up the pacifier/dummy. It took maybe 2-3 days but that was the end of it. The trick was to involve her in the process, to tell her what was up and why, and even ask her what she'd like as a replacement. (She didn't want anything, but yours may prefer this or that special cup.)

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 17:58:17 pm »
My best friend's LO was a bit over three and the dentist told her to drop it and then she did.

Mama wouldn't do, it HAD to be someone else  ::)

Offline jaedagal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • My munchkin at 2 months old.
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 18:28:25 pm »
Nuby sippy cup is the only one working for use too! I think their BPA free since everywhere I look all those bottles and sippy cups have been taken off the shelves where I'm from and the Nuby is still around.

Offline momtonb&ab

• Showing Appreciation 234
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 19:51:08 pm »
i just read somewhere that sometimes at that age, the idea is for her to be in control.   what about telling her that there are babies who don't have bottles and would she give her bottle to a little baby that needs it.  If she is willing, pick out a gift bag or box and get her to wash it and prepare it for sharing.  Then deliver it together to the local shelter or a drop box ....  (even if the shelter can't use it, it is a good lesson for her on helping others and by her age, the permanence of giving it to someone else might give you some closure.)

my sister wanted ds to give up his pacifier, and she convinced him to give it to the new baby pig (they live on a farm and the pig's arrival was a big deal :)).....She deliberately got rid of all pacis so that she couldn't give in if he ever 'changed' his mind and wanted it back.   Turns out, he never asked again.

good luck!