Author Topic: Angela - X's mommy- Dairy Allergy question  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Angela - X's mommy- Dairy Allergy question
« on: July 29, 2008, 18:19:40 pm »
Hi Angela:  I tried to respond to your PM, but it said that your user name could not be found when I hit reply, really weird.

So I just started a post here for you with my response.  Wendy

Three days ago I introduced yogurt for the first time to my 9 month old.  The first night she was really OT as we were out and got home late, and she had many NWs.  The second night she wasn't so OT (at least I didn't think so) but still had many NWs.  Today I didn't give her any yogurt and she is currently freaking out in her room (it's almost 1am here) and we are trying to get her back to sleep since 10:30pm.

I'm not sure if the yogurt is the culprit but we have had questionable nights before (possibly to wheat, corn, blueberries).  If I didn't give her any today, would it still be in her system and affecting her so badly?  I assumed that she should be okay if it were the yogurt.

Then again, we are also dealing with some nightfeeding issues but things have been getting better so I'm not sure if this setback is normal or food related.

thanks for your help!

cheers,
Angela

Hi Angela:

I will give you the best advice that I have, but if things don't improve you may want to do a post under food allergy or the night waking board, so other mom's can give you advice.

My personal belief is if a new food effects their attitude/mood, causes digestive upset or causes problem with sleeping, I remove it and try again later.

It is SO hard when you are dealing with just an intolerance to a food and not an actual food allergy.  With a food allergy, you could have hives, etc. BUT with an intolerance you get the mood changes, disrupt in sleep because of tummy hurting, etc.

It is hard also because something else is going on, but at the same time it started you started a new food, so hard to tell which one is causing it.

So here are a few questions:

- Do you nurse?  If so, do you eat any dairy at all in your diet?
- If you bottle feed, which kind of formula are you giving her?

- Is she more gassy or seem like her tummy is hurting?

Normally yogurt is one of those dairy foods that lo's can handle, BUT neither one of my kids could have any dairy at all at that age.

If I give Tyler (my 10 mo. old) anything with even hidden dairy in it, he cries in pain, is super gassy and causes him not to sleep well.

Could she be teething or maybe a growth spurt.  9 mos is normally a big growth spurt.

If you only gave her one thing of yogurt and that is it, I would think that she should have been fine by the next day also. 
Normally Tyler is fine within  2 days if he gets anything with dairy.

I will be able to help you a little more once I know if she has had any dairy at all. 

Big Hugs to you.  It is SOOOO hard trying to  figure out what is going on.  Makes you not want to feed them anything, LOL.

Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
Re: Angela - X's mommy- Dairy Allergy question
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 18:40:46 pm »
Just a little fyi - if there's an apostrophe in the username you are trying to pm, just take it out, and it should go through (I struggle to pm Wilfie's Mummy - but it goes through when I type in Wilfies Mummy) :)
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 19:32:53 pm »
Thank you.. I will send her a PM now.

Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline {{{Angela}}}

• Showing Appreciation 12
    • pillowhead designs - hand embroidered goodies
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 19:39:22 pm »
Thanks!  I just got your PM!

To answer your questions: I breastfeed and I eat plenty of dairy products.  She seemed a little gassy but not excessively.  At the time I couldn't figure out what was wrong and yogurt was the only new food I had given her in a while.  She is fine during the day.  She has never had any dairy before.  Maybe she is teething again and was uncomfortable b/c of that???  Who knows? ;)

Thanks for your help!

Oh wait a minute; I just looked at the box of Baby Mummums and one of the ingredients is skim milk powder.  She's been eating those for about a month now and has had no problems. :)
Angela
mommy to Xavier and Zinnia

hand embroidered goodness at http://pillowhead.etsy.com

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 19:45:46 pm »
Yep, Baby Mum Mum's have milk (I learned that the hard way).

Gosh, I would think if she is getting dairy through your breastmilk, then she should not have any problems.

To me, it really sounds like something else going on.  BUT, you could wait another month and try yogurt again.

Hugs Wendy
Wendy -

Offline momtoandrewandthomas

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 02:14:33 am »
I know with Thomas the magic number of days is 4 to clear his system even with tiny amounts of hidden dairy or soy.   We went to a wedding on Saturday and Today (Tuesday) we had screaming pain and diarrhea.  I think it was a cracker or 2 he swiped.  I hope so.  It has been a bad day.
Jen - pediatric physical therapist and wife to Brian
Mom to Andrew - 5 1/2 sensitive preemie
           Thomas - 2 1/2 MSPI textbook baby

Kindergarten is stressing me out!!!!