Author Topic: Help with new sleep issues - Loosing my mind!  (Read 758 times)

Offline kristenren

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help with new sleep issues - Loosing my mind!
« on: August 05, 2008, 14:25:59 pm »
I am in deperate need of help!  My 9 1/2 month old for the past 2 weeks has become a sleeping nightmare!  From 7 months to 9 months - nap times and bedtimes were a breeze.  I could literally place him in his crib or pack and play whenever he was sleepy.

This was the routine that was working beautifully.
Wake up 7 am Bottle
Breakfast 8 am
Nap 10:30 am
Lunch 12pm
Bottle 3pm
Dinner 5/5:30pm
Bath 6pm
Bottle and Bed 7/7:30 pm

DS started fighting me on the morning nap and Now every nap time is a fight - hours of screaming.  I can tell that because of this my DS is extremely sleep deprived.  During the waking hours his is miserable and whiney and needy.  He was never like this before.  People used to comment all the time what a happy and content baby he was.  I have tried everything and am loosing my patience with my DS, my husband, my 2 dogs and my cat.  I feel that my heart is going to jump out of my chest I have so much anxiety.

I have made a bunch of changes to his routine - trying to listen to him.  We did a few days of 1 3 hour nap starting around 12pm.  I've moved his bedtime up and bedtime back.  I think all the problems we are having is making him mad when I put him in the crib.  I waffle back and forth trying to console him and then just letting him cry it out.

What do I do with an over tired screaming baby who just wont sleep?

Offline kristenren

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Help with new sleep issues - Loosing my mind!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 14:28:05 pm »
One other note.  He has recently learned to stand up and his very confident doing this.  So all of the times I put him down - he immediately stands in his crib and screams.  Do I keep laying him down or do I let him stand there and scream?

Offline Purplecattypants

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 203
  • PANTS!!!
    • Facebook
Re: Help with new sleep issues - Loosing my mind!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 11:04:23 am »
Hi Kirsten,

I am sorry you havent had any replies yet and that you're having such a hard time.

- So, its very common for sleep to go wonky around this age. It sounds like your lo have started the 2-1 nap switch early, which mine has also done so I can sympathise!

- First off, take a look here: http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=95670.0

- So, at the moment is he only having one nap? Ideally, you need to try and hold on to 2 for as long as possible. It may seem like one is working for a few days, but the OT will set in and that is an utter nightmare to try and correct at this age.

- I found that things were wonky for a few weeks at this age, then they settled down again. I started off by pushing the morning nap out to 10am and only letting him have 45 mins, therefore making sure he was tired enough for the afternoon nap. In theory, the arvo nap is the one that should be the longest as it helps them sleep better at night. HOWEVER, after 2 weeks of STILL struggling with the arvo nap, I changed tactic.

- I pushed the am nap out even further and let him have a 1.5hr nap here. Then a 45 min catnap later on in the afternoon. So, our day look something like this:

E 7am wake & bf
S 10:30/40 until 12pm

E 12pm
S 3:40 45 mins

Bedtime 7/7:30pm

- It may take a while, but if you experiment you will find what work best. Any changes that you make you need to be consistent with, so try them for 3 days and if still no dice then think again.

- The milestones of standing etc will also play havoc...my goodness, I really could have written this post word for work myself a few weeks ago! Make sure you give him plently of crawling.standing practice during the day.

- I would urge you not to let him cry it out...it breaks the bonds of trust between parent and child. You need to be consistent in how you deal with him or else he will get confused...use pu/pd for example, but dont let him CIO.

- You may also consider Separation Anxiety. This is also an issue with my lo. What we found works is laying lo down in the cot, saying sleepy time etc, then lying down yourself at the side of the cot on your front so you're not making eye contact with lo. He will stand up to look at you/throw toys on top of you etc, but if he starts to cry sit up and reassure him you're still there (no eye contact). You may want to lay him down at this point too. Repeat until he decided he's tired now and falls asleep  ;) It may take some time, but he'll get the message eventually. Try it, you may be plesantly surprised. It took us a while to figure this one out, but it works now!

- If he is OT he will be more difficult to settle to sleep, hence the need to keep 2 naps as long as possible.

I am going to move this to naps btw as I think its better suited there. Hang on in there, it WILL improve  :-*

HTH x

Angela

My homebirthed, hypnobirthed, waterbirthed everything. 27th Sept '07, 6lb 10oz. Proud to have breastfed for 19 months!