Author Topic: identifying the problem, IS a problem  (Read 1248 times)

Offline nyree

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
identifying the problem, IS a problem
« on: August 14, 2008, 09:53:53 am »
Hi There,
my 4 month old is steadily getting worse, is the criteria for a milk protein allergy"exact"? My DD has a once daily very watery poop (pours out the diaper) and wakes up every hour or less for excessive gas, she still has her eyes closed and reeling her legs up or fidgetting constantly. I try bicycling, massage, simithecone, gripe water, everything you can mention. I am going crazy and lucky if I slept 3 hours of broken sleep, I paused writing this as she woke up crying and moving.I have a 2 year old to deal with the next day too. Am I crazy to think there is something wrong?? Please share any advice.

thanks

em_here

Re: identifying the problem, IS a problem
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 10:13:36 am »
Aw hugs, my dd was like this, except lots of runny nappies, and yes had the awful gas, and fidgeting and cried A LOT, and eventually had blood in her poo. She is 19 months now and still MPI.Does she cry a lot? What formula is she on? I dont think you are crazy, I think you have very valid reasons for wondering!

Offline nyree

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 10:21:40 am »
hi,

she is on nutramigen, she cries more if attempting to sleep, will not stop moving and looks very uncomfortable, if her poop isn't runny, it is full of mucus, one time last week it had black thread like stuff in it

Offline nyree

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 10:23:44 am »
is it possible , that the reason she has only one runny poop is because she is on nutramigen with limited milk protein in it?

em_here

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 10:49:07 am »
nutragimen is for milk allergy isnt it?  Maybe its not broken down enough? We used a similar milk to this, and the proteins are still there, just broken down, so maybe you need to switch to fully elemental which means there will be no milk proteins in it at all! The one we used for ages was Neocate :)  We never had any probs on Neocate at all.  The one you describe may still just be irritating her, loads of mucus is a big sign. Ask for a script for neocate to trial xxx

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 17:47:00 pm »
Hi, I just saw this, sorry.  I wanted to say that my son was exactly like this until about 3/4 months old. 

We had to go on Neocate also, which made things worse for us, BUT we went on Elecare (which is the same thing as Neocate, just a different company) and it got better.  However, every poop on Elecare was runny, but he felt a lot better.

The black streaks are a sign of blood.  You really need to get things checked out.

Also, I know my son had anal stenosis.  Bascially his anus was really really tight.  He could not get the poop out, if he did it was very runny, because the runny stuff got by the hard stuff.

He0 struggled with getting gas out on his own.  After many trips to the GI doctor and in the hospital, Finally they concluded this.

All I had to do was anal stretches 2 times a day.  I had to put vaselline on my pinky finger with a glove and insert it half way and wiggle side to side, to stretch his anus. 

Everytime I did this, he let out HUGE amounts of gas and poop. 

After about a month, he was fine.

He is now on Nutramigen and everything is going great.

I would just mention this to your doctor. 

Hugs to you, Wendy

Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline nyree

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 18:14:40 pm »
thanks so much for the information Wendy, I see the pedeatrician on the 28th I am definately mention this. I find that if they are not textbook on classic symptoms then they disregard it, especially if they are gaining weight, that is all they seem to care about.

p.s  thanks for the hug

Nyree

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 18:48:37 pm »
:)  Your welcome. 

Yep they only see they kids in their office and if they are gaining weight, OH they are just fine.

I even videotaped my son and took it to the doctor with me.  I was tired of being told nothing was wrong.

Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!