Author Topic: What does constant tummy gurgling mean?  (Read 19547 times)

Offline Mashi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 408
« on: September 30, 2008, 08:51:13 am »
DH and I have finally decided that DS's constant tummy gurgling just can't be 'normal' - can it?  He was finally diagnosed with reflux and so far the Gaviscon seems to be doing something positive (only 3 uses so far,  though) but someone suggested that reflux is often a sign or goes jointly with other things.  Lactose intol, MSPI, etc.

What about CONSTANT tummy rumbling?  For about 6 weeks now (he's 10 weeks old) his tummy has not stopped rumbling. You can hear everything moving through his body pretty much 24 hours a day.  Is this a symptom of something? If so, anyone have any ideas what?

Thanks
M

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
Re: What does constant tummy gurgling mean?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 17:58:11 pm »
Humm.. 

Does he seem in any pain or discomfort?
Are you nursing or formula?  If formula, what kind, if nursing, are you eliminating anything from your diet?

Tummy rumbling sounds like LOTS of gas.  My lo's used to do that, but he would also scream and cry in so much pain.

Have you ever had an upset stomach and your tummy was cramping, and gassy, and you feel all the gas bubbles in there.  That is what is sounds like to me.

With us, my son could not handle milk or soy.  Could just be lactose, but more than likely could be milk or soy and that could also be causing his reflux.

Let me know about the questions and I can help you a little more.

Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Mashi

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 18:25:55 pm »
Not sure if he is in pain or discomfort....he's chronically OT, we seem to break it and within a week it's happened again, and I'm at the point where I can/will no longer accept that it is something wrong with my routine or with what I am doing during the day.  It's just CHRONIC.

It doesn't sound like gas at all.  It's a very different type of rumbling.   It affects him differently than gas does, and we are pretty good at burping him and getting it all out. The sound is more like that of liquid running all through a pipe.  Glug glug glug. 

He was breastfed for 2 - 3 weeks, then formula.  We use Aptamil.

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 19:06:11 pm »
DS's tummy sounded like a washing machine too , this is a reflux symptom .Once the reflux was under control it didn't sound soo bad and then stopped .
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline Canwi

• Retired GM and Mod still paying it forward
  • Showing Appreciation 253
  • Me, in a picture
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 19:08:59 pm »
I agree with ryan's mum.  DS2 still has BAD rumbling in the late afternoon and evening, which is when his reflux is at it's worst.  (We're still getting things sorted)

8) I BFd a combined total of 4y, 1m & 1d

Offline Mashi

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 19:43:39 pm »
Mmm very interesting to know it's from the reflux. Thanks for the info ladies, as always.  I'll keep my eye on it (or rather, ear) and see if it gets better.

Some days it's hard because I'm so hungry I can tell if it's my hunger or his belly making the noise.....LOL

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 03:33:44 am »
I hope the gavison shows some improvement.  If not, then I would go back to the doctor and ask for zantac or prevacid.

Is he formula feed or breast feed right now? 

Normally reflux does go hand and hand with MSPI. 

It really sounds to me like his body is not breaking down his "food" properly causing all the noise in there.

Hugs, Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!