Author Topic: A Warning for MSPI familes that eat at Panera Bread  (Read 2719 times)

Offline momtoandrewandthomas

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
A Warning for MSPI familes that eat at Panera Bread
« on: October 04, 2008, 01:49:08 am »
Panera is one of our favorite places to eat.  Although the soups all have milk and soy, they state that several plain breads do not.  HOWEVER, Thomas has had violent reaction #3 to plain french bread there.  I have signed off on letting him eat out there.  He never minds if I bring safe things for him and Andrew's school thermos has really come in handy for heating and taking things. 

Just wanted others to be aware.  I am not sure what it is, but there is something in there either milk or soy based.
Jen - pediatric physical therapist and wife to Brian
Mom to Andrew - 5 1/2 sensitive preemie
           Thomas - 2 1/2 MSPI textbook baby

Kindergarten is stressing me out!!!!

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: A Warning for MSPI familes that eat at Panera Bread
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 19:48:33 pm »
Hey Jen, have you checked there website to see if the ingredients list milk or soy or called the company?  Just wondering if it is deft. milk or soy or something else.

Hugs hun, that really does suck thinking you are giving them something that is supposed to be safe and he reacts :(

Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 20:19:15 pm »
I was following the nutritional info listed on their site, which is quite extensive.  They list every ingredient on there.  I am going to call on Monday just to let them know that and see if there is something else hidden that I am missing just reading the lists.  That is why I am also beginning to wonder if there are other things that he is becoming intolerant to.  For a while, I thought it was something in the soups, which most he cannot have.  This time I did not let him have the soup, only the bread and plain pasta that I brought from home.  Here, 3 and 4 days later he is doubled over in pain and screaming.  He finally passed everything last night, but it was all mucus and watery and smelled up the whole house.  It was horrible for him.  I hate watching him go through that. 

I will let you all know what I find out when I talk with them.  They have always been accomodating in the past.

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 02:11:20 am »
Please let us know.

Have you read or thought celiac disease at all?  Does he normally eat breads, pasta's etc. without a problem?
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 02:14:52 am »
He has been blood and skin tested both and both were negative. 

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 02:23:20 am »
The gold standard though is a biopsy only. 

Does he eat gluten now, wheat, rye, barley?

Wendy -

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 18:29:40 pm »
Yes.  He eats mostly rice and fruits, veggies and meats, but does eat some wheat products.  He is not big into baked things or bread, but he loves pretzels.  I should maybe try the GF and see if I can sneak it out of his diet to check a difference.  He is not at all picky when it comes to food.  He is obviously eating very little right now. 

The GI did not mention that as something she checks for, but she may.  I will have to call and ask if she would.  They are going to biopsy him for the EE anyway, so what is one more snip.
jen