Author Topic: Know a good eczema emollient?  (Read 13559 times)

Offline nagillim

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 22:43:36 pm »
We use SpectroJel Eczema Care for Babies as well -- the moisturizing cream is great.

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2008, 07:53:34 am »
Epaderm seemed to be the best for Jenn.

Offline MLK

• Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 10:24:00 am »
I had terrible eczema on my ankles for years that would not go away. Steroid creams improved it a little, but as soon as I stopped the eczema would come back. I've tried loads of different commercial moisturisers/creams - nothing. The only thing that has worked for me is shea butter - the pure stuff, with no additives/fragrances or essential oils added. I got it at a health food shop - sold as a lip salve, but worked well on my ankles. 2 months later the eczema was completely gone!

Offline KittysMum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Like your heart walking round outside your body
Re: Know a good eczema emollient?
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 20:14:28 pm »
Thanks so much. I have an idea that the Oilatum cream is fine on her body, but is making her face red. Her skin does seem to be incredibly sensitive, which was why I was so delighted to discover Dermasalve, on Kelly's recommendation - it really was so soothing and gentle, and would calm her sore skin in hours.

I wish I knew what ingredient it is that she's reacting to. I'm in two minds, as to whether to involve the doctor in the search for a new product or not. If I do, he's likely to prescribe another 'chemical-ly' one, and I would imagine it will take longer to find one that suits her. But if I do my own research and find a more natural product that works, it'll cost me. (Having written that, I realise that finding a solution is far more important than the money, isn't it? But getting the DermaSalve on prescription was a god-send as we got through tubs of that and it was pricey...)

I've ordered a pot from Pure Potions to try, as I like the sound of their ingredients list and the testimonials sound promising.

Can anyone tell me where they get Spectra from? Can't see a UK stockist from a quick 'Google'...

Offline MLK

• Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2008, 11:02:12 am »
IF you are in the UK you can get unrefined shea butter from here:

http://laughingbird-bodycare.co.uk/categories.php?id=1

Seems pretty cheap! Though it seems some people can be allergic to it so a patch test might be necessary if you decided to try it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 11:06:49 am by Lan »

Offline KittysMum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2008, 21:37:03 pm »
Thanks Lan! I'll def. try some of that. Cheers mate.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 08:16:17 am by KittysMum »

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 20:08:17 pm »
We tried shea butter and worked well for the first week or so then James seemed to start reacting to it. It is made from a tree nut but not one that is a common allergen. They use the fruity part of the shea nut and it is only the oil that is used from it. This contains little protein which is possibly why there are not many know cases of an allergic reaction to it. I do know that it definately made James's skin worse after the initial week and do not feel confident in retrying it. James does test positive to quite a few different nuts though which probably makes me more anxious about trying this again. If yoou decide to try it on Kitty just take it slowly and you should be able to notice any reactions quickly if they occur. I do know that many people use it with great sucess.

Please let me know how you go on with the pot from pure potions as I nearly ordered it once before as it sounded promising. I hope it works well for Kitty.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline KittysMum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 08:37:48 am »
Perhaps we could stay in touch Kelly, as I suspect Kitty's skin may be similar to James'.

The Pure Potions pot arrived yesterday; I tried it once, but her skin looked so red, that I've not tried it again yet. I did have a little bit of DermaSalve left, so I put that on her face this morning, and the redness went down considerably within about 20 minutes. So annoying that we can't get hold of that anymore. It really felt like I'd found a solution to the problem.

I've also ordered a tube of Green People Baby Salve, to give that a try.

Will keep you posted if I find anything that seems to be good, and perhaps you could do the same for me? I'd really appreciate that.

Offline KittysMum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 08:41:52 am »
Am I right in thinking that you girls using Spectro Gel are in the States?

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 08:43:44 am »
Kitty - would love to know how you get on with the Green People, if you don't mind posting or PMing me and letting me know. Like I said, the girl I worked with had the worst eczema I'd ever seen in my life and she used to miss days and days of work each month from it until she started with the Green People. She said that it changed her life!   I know that everyone's eczema is different and all different products work differently for different people, but I am curious how it goes for you.  

Have you thought of just stocking up on lots and lots of DermaSalve to have until you find something else?

Either way, I do hope you find something that works.

Offline KittysMum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 10:02:18 am »
Unfortunately, they've stopped stocking it everywhere now. Been trying for a while!

Will certainly keep you posted on progress - I'd be delighted if I can find a more natural cream.

Offline KittysMum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 15:45:32 pm »
Mashimaro, I've got to say I'm really excited about this Green People cream! I put it on her at lunchtime, and waited with bated breath for the usual cries, redness and itching. There was none!

Her skin is calmed and soothed. Okay, she looks like she's been in an oil slick (I got the balm - have since been back and ordered the lotion too) but I don't care. I'm really hopeful this might be an answer. Can't thank you enough.

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2008, 16:28:11 pm »
Ohhhh YAY!  I really, really do hope that it works!!   

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2008, 20:04:41 pm »
I think it would be a good idea to stay in contact. It sounds like you are having look with the green people cream. I hope it continues to work well for Kitty. I am going to have a look at it on the net. Please give updates.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline KittysMum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2008, 06:53:15 am »
Certainly will do. This morning, she's looking better - not clear obviously, but the skin's not burning or flaky. I really think it might be a good soother, even if we still need to use steroid creams to actually clear the flare ups.

I'm a bit wary, as I know you said you had success with a cream for a week, then it caused problems. I guess time will tell.

But I'm very hopeful. I've since been back and ordered their baby wash and nappy cream too. (And they smell just delicious!)