Author Topic: Know a good eczema emollient?  (Read 13521 times)

Offline MLK

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2008, 10:20:15 am »
I hope the cream works well. I found myself that anything with essential oils in it just was way too strong for my skin -  I pretty much have to use fragrance free everything. The only thing that wasn't too bad was calendula -  I think it has a natural steroid in it?

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Know a good eczema emollient?
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2008, 20:07:20 pm »
Fingers crossed it keeps working for Kitty.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline KittysMum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Like your heart walking round outside your body
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2008, 14:25:04 pm »
Thanks Kelly. I'd recommend you try some of the Green People aftersun lotion on James - it's lovely and calming (it's not unlike DermaSalve to use).

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2008, 19:58:30 pm »
Thank you for that recomendation. I will have a look at the ingredients shortly before I order some.

Kelly

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2008, 09:37:03 am »
I have beenlookin at the green people products and there seems to be lots of ingredients in them which makes me a little nervous. I have noticed that some of the products contain olive oil which means they are out for James. I am going to see what I can find on the net. I have found a eczema cream by earthbound organics that only contain 3 ingredients so I think I may order some and try.

Kelly

Offline KittysMum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2008, 19:21:23 pm »
I'll have a look at those too, Kelly.

I've been using the Green People lotion and balm, but it's too early days yet to say for sure how we're doing. I've also tried Shea butter, but again, too early to say.

It's a minefield.

I think Kitty may have a wheat allergy; all this has flared up since we introduced wheat a few weeks ago, so we're both doing the elimination thing again. The poor thing is back on antibiotics now, as it's become infected again... *sigh*.

We braved John Lewis this afternoon, but I wished we hadn't; the looks Kitty got, it was horrible. Okay, her face was red and sore and scratched, and her hair was plastered down with the emollient on her scalp, so she wasn't looking her prettiest, but it still makes you feel rubbish to have her looked at with horror.

Offline KittysMum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2008, 19:22:38 pm »
BTW Kelly, my husband's seriously considering buying the DermaSalve ingredients and having a go at making up a batch himself.

Offline clh

• Showing Appreciation 226
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2008, 19:25:04 pm »
I've been following along.  (Ds's seem to be OK, but I get it horribly on my hands.)  I just had to post {{hugs}} to KittysMum for folks' reaction this afternoon.  I'm so sorry hun.  :-*  She looks so precious in your avatars.  :)
Candice

Offline KittysMum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2008, 11:00:30 am »
Thanks lovely - you are sweet.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2008, 19:37:32 pm »
I like the idea of trying to recreate dermasalve. If your dh goes ahead with it please let me know how it goes. I am so sorry that Kitty has flared. James has a wheat allergy and he is now reacting to it upon contact where it was not an issue before (not that he came into contact often). We have noticed this as they make playdoh at his nursery and his hands were flaring and we could not get it under control. I had a hunch that it could be the playdoh so they now make it with a gluten free flower for him and that has solved the problem.

Kelly

Offline becks

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2008, 17:27:11 pm »
Hello there.... I 'm not sure if i'm too late on posting here but I recently found this amazing cream that works wonders on my sons eczema and its 'natural' its called 'baby derma med' ... it says its for diaper rash and eczema..i personally just use it on his eczema .  I live in British Columbia, Canada  I just read the jar and it is made in Canada..not sure if they have a website to order from or not....i hope so as it is wonderful!!!!  take care. Becky

Offline KittysMum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2008, 17:46:11 pm »
We've made progress... thought I'd update.

I've eliminated wheat for the past few weeks, and the eczema has all but vanished again. I couldn't be more relieved; my happy little girl is back.

What drives me absolutely MAD is all the doctors who are sceptical about food allergies and refuse to accept that there is any link at all. If they could see the before and after, I'm sure they'd be convinced.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2009, 12:30:18 pm »
James's dermatologist still does not believe that his eczema is linked to food allergies even though he has seen the before and after pics. We are lucky that his paediatrician at the hospital does which helped us a lot. It is nice to know that somebody actually believes you in the medical field.

I am so glad to hear that Kitty is doing well again.

Kelly

Offline KittysMum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2009, 18:27:22 pm »
Kelly, I wanted to ask, can you tell me again what you've found James is allergic to? Only, when I first read that you'd indentified multiple food allergies with him, I thought "I'm glad all Kitty is allergic to is milk".

But having worked out that it's not just milk, it's wheat too (and now we're suspicious of legumes, after her eczema has flared after eating chickpeas and butterbeans) I'm wondering if she's not in the same boat as James.

Can you give me an idea of what you've found to be problem foods? I obviously won't assume that Kitty's the same, but it'd be helpful to have an idea of which foods to be on the look out for.

BTW, I'm getting along great with the Green People's Baby Salve and their Baby Lotion. Expensive in the quantities I'm using, but then so was DermaSalve. Have you tried them on James?

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2009, 13:45:25 pm »
James is allergic to dairy, eggs, wheat, oats, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, stoned fruit, citrus fruit, banana, peas, corn, olive oil and we have not attempted shellfish. James tests ige positive to these foods apart from shellfish but we were advised not to try it at the moment. We have trialed all of these food incase they were false positives apart from peanuts and tree nuts. We did not trial egg orally as James had a contact reaction to it where he broke out in hives so decided an oral trial was not needed.

We have not tried the green people's products yet as I am still nervous about it due to the amount of ingredients plus we are restricted as some contain olive oil. I do need to find something though as James's hands are bad at the moment.

Kelly