Author Topic: Could wheezing mean milk allergy???  (Read 4930 times)

Offline ericapt

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Spiderman and his sidekick, Little Bee!!
Could wheezing mean milk allergy???
« on: December 28, 2008, 01:38:28 am »
I have a question regarding milk allergy if anyone is available now.  My LO has been eating yogurt, cottage cheese and cheese for several months now with no problems.  He just turned a year old and I have tried whole milk in his cereal and at lunch, but now he is wheezing a lot.  Could this be related?  Can someone have an allergy/reaction to milk even if they didn't react to cheeses and yogurt?  Or does he most likely have something else going on?  He doesn't seem to be ill; no fever, coughing, runny nose, fussiness etc.  He doesn't seem to be in distress or have any pain, but he doesn't ever wheeze like this.  He has sounded like this most of the day today and I noticed it a little bit yesterday.  If anyone can offer us advice I'd really appreciate it.
Thank you,
Erica
Erica

Offline Mashi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 08:13:48 am »
From what I understand, yes this can be a sign of an allergy.  Tolerating the dairy in yogurt and cheese is common in some milk allergic babies (and adults, too) as the culturization of the yogurt and cheese can affect the proteins and break them down to a state that is tolerable.

If you go to the food allergies links in this section there are some great sites.  One of the ones, which I can't remember but it was submitted by Jenn@ is one that I found to be really helpful in explaining what's happening in the body and why some dairy causes reactions and others don't. 

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Could wheezing mean milk allergy???
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 02:34:28 am »
babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=50779.0

Here is the link she is talking about. 

Sounds strange to me though that he would wheeze like this with whole milk.  What was he drinking before whole milk? Formula or breastmilk?  What kind of formula.

I think I would follow up with the doctor to make sure nothing else is going on. 

Hope he is okay.  I know it is scary, my son is wheezing a lot right now, but he also has a runny nose, cough, etc. 

Hugs, Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 09:29:38 am »
Wendy, I don't know how to make a hyperlink (although I am sure if I actually took a second to look, it wouldn't be a problem!) but it's in the post called helpful websites, and about the third post is by Jenn@ - the website is a super-duper one!  I am on my way out but will get back later today to put the link up.