Author Topic: Peanut Allergy  (Read 1449 times)

Offline chrissie1982

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
« on: February 06, 2009, 21:46:18 pm »
Hi everybody,
I'm just looking for advice and I know that you knowledgable ladies will be able to help  ;). My DH has a nut allergy and so we have been keeping our 18 month old ds away from nuts. The only thing is that I don't know if we should try ds with them (and when) or not. I don't want to make him ill by trying it but then part of me thinks that I need to know if he is because when he is older and going to school/parties etc then I will have to manage it properly (telling school, parents etc).

Would you try him with nuts or not? And if so, what age should I try them? I know that my MIL would prefer it if I just treated ds as having a nut alergy without even trying them out (she was so worried about nut allergies that she never tried DH's younger brother with nuts and treats him as though he has an allergy). Is this how I should handle it? MIL always over-reacts to things and sometimes I have difficulty knowing if she is right or not ::).

Thanks
Chrissie x

Offline RyansMum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 138
  • Minecraft mad!
Re: Peanut Allergy
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 22:28:04 pm »
Have you spoken to your gp at all? In would steer clear but then how will you know? I would chat to doc.

Offline 2Kats

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 14:52:51 pm »
My DD1 has a nut allergy and I asked her allergist about wether or not to give nuts to DD2.  He said I should wait until she is 3 to try since there is a history of nut allergy in the family.  A friend of mine actually had her DD tested for nut allergy before she tried them since her son had a pretty bad reaction to nuts so that is also an option if you are really worried.  Allergy testing at 18 months with my DD was pretty painless. 
Jenny

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 15:24:11 pm »
I asked HV about allergies and this in particular, as we have lots of allergies between us.
She said for kids whose parents have various allergies but not specifically nuts, then wait till age 3 to try them with nuts. For kids whose parents have a nut allergy, wait until age 5 to try them with nuts.
hth
]

Offline jennyb133

• Jenny
  • Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 16:51:08 pm »
My DS1 has an allergy to peanuts. We have not tried them yet with DS2, who is 18mos. We have a peanut-free household & carry an epi-pen with us anyway.  We are going to have him allergy tested at 3 though so that we can take precaution if necessary when he starts pre-k.
James~ 12/04/2005
Alexander~ 07/26/2007
Nicholas~ 09/05/2010

Offline hannahgracesmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 03:00:15 am »
My DD is 7 months and has a peanut allergy.  We found out after she had a bad reaction to a family member who had peanut residue on their fingers.  We carry an epi-pen with us and our house is completely peanut free. 

Pediatricians are now saying that all kids should stay off peanuts/tree nuts until the age of 3 since there are so many cases of peanut allergies right now.  When you do introduce him to peanuts just place a tiny amount on his lip so he doesn't ingest it and you'll be able to tell if he reacts (swollen lip, hives etc.).  If he happens to be allergic usually the first reaction isn't as severe, it's the next ones that they worry about.

Offline chrissie1982

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 09:21:22 am »
Hi everybody,

Thanks for all the advice. Well, I'll definitely wait a while now and perhaps speak to the gp about allergy testing next time we're there.

Chrissie x