Author Topic: DD turning 1 still on Hypoallegenic Formula HELP!  (Read 1501 times)

Offline ray7694

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
DD turning 1 still on Hypoallegenic Formula HELP!
« on: February 16, 2009, 13:49:14 pm »
My dd is turning one in a week. She has been on Alimentum since birth. Each time we try something different she is very fussy. Never had any other reaction but extreme fussiness and wanting to be held.

I tried whole milk for a few days and she had the same reaction.

What are the options. I must get off this expensive formula before I go broke.
I know she doesn't need a lot of milk if I give other foods which she has been fine with dairy but she loves her milk so I need something for her to drink.

TIA!

Offline Alison_3

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
Re: DD turning 1 still on Hypoallegenic Formula HELP!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 14:31:30 pm »
What about soymilk or Lactaid?   We used Alimentum until DS2 was 16 months old so I know how you feel! 

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 14:38:47 pm »
Another option is ricemilk if your dd eats a good varied diet. It is low in fat and protein so your dd will need to be getting plenty from the foods she eats. It is better to get the enriched ricemilk as this has calcium and vitaminb12, A and D added. There is a recipe on this board for adding fat content and protein to the ricemilk if needed.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline motherof3

• Andrea, Paul, Jackie, Payton and Abby
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 18:49:12 pm »
Abby went from Neocate to goats milk without a problem.  We did a very slow transition though.

Andrea
Jackie 3/10/01
Payton 9/23/03

Offline mommyoflogan

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 03:13:17 am »
My lo is 10 months old and our dr. said we would need to keep him on Nutramigen AA (like alumentium) until he was 18 months old, then we should switch to regular Nutramigen until he turns 2.  It's still more expensive than other formulas but not quite as bad.  I don't know if you can get Nutramigen (made by Enfamil) everywhere, but you might look into it.

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 03:23:05 am »
When my dd turned 1, we began adding just a half ounce of milk  at a time to her Alimentum.  We waited a full 2 weeks, then added another half ounce, waited 2 weeks, and so on. It took forever, but a quick switch just seemed wrong to me (although it is what the doc suggested). 

I'm sure you've done this...but some insurance companies will cover the alimentum. If they have said no in the past, it might be worth trying it again, maybe your ped could get on the phone with them as well.  I know it's a fortune...it was costing us $500 a month!!

If you do decide to try soy...read all you can about it...there has been some controversy.

Best of luck....she's going to outgrow it soon!!!!