Author Topic: re: books for 2 year old  (Read 1712 times)

Offline KECA

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: March 03, 2009, 19:05:01 pm »
When do you retire the board books for "paper" books?  And how many books to you make accessible to your LO and then rotate new ones in periodically?

Offline Jonahs Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: re: books for 2 year old
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 19:16:51 pm »
We let ds choose. If they like a book, I don't see any reason to remove it as repetition is how they learn.

We rotate books every 2-3 weeks at the library. Our choice of books really has to do with what ds is interested in at the time and things we want him to learn (everything from letters, shapes, numbers, to manners and body parts).

We did find that when he was no longer listening to a book or flipped pages quickly to finish a book, that it was time for more 'content'. With that generally comes paper pages as opposed to board books.

I think it is just a natural progression, which we encountered at about 2.5yo.
~Keri~

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 08:40:09 am »
Leorah is 29 months and still has a mixture of board and paper books. She recently became more interested in longer stories like The Gruffalo but still loves her Maisy board books and classics like Goodnight Moon and I can't see her losing interest in these for a long while yet. I rotate L's toys but she keeps all her books on her book shelves and she seems to rotate them herself, she will want the same stories over and over again for a few weeks and will then pick others which we then read to the death  :)
Katt

Offline mum101

• Char
  • Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 08:59:59 am »
If DD keeps on picking the same book, i rotate so that one is hidden down the back and new interesting ones suddenly appear at the front.

DD still reads some books (including board books) that she read as a baby and 1/2 yo. They all stay in there together, I think she enjoys the familiar and new exciting ones.

We have one shelf for her books, one shelf for library books, we get about 16 for a fortnight/month.
mumma to 2 former BW babies, DD 11, DS 8

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 10:18:31 am »
at 4 and 5 1/2 my kids will still look at board books on occasion and lift the flap "spot" or "Maisy" books etc.  someone told me to keep them on hand long term anyway as now that aelx is starting to want to read many board books will be great because they usually have short sentences or at least only 1-2 per page.

so we read everything from "Going on a bear hunt" board book to many chapter/lengthy books now
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 18:21:16 pm »
That's a really good point about being good first reading books Deb, I will definitely keep Leorah's now  ;)
Katt