Author Topic: Any other options instead of cow's milk at 12 months?  (Read 1605 times)

Offline mayabee

• Charlotte's mom
  • New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Little treehugger!
Any other options instead of cow's milk at 12 months?
« on: March 18, 2009, 22:58:51 pm »
Hi mommies! Any of you started your lo on something other than cow's milk after they are off formula at 12 months? Would love any suggestions and how it went with transitioning. I still plan on breastfeeding the first morning feed for as long as she will take it but I would like to try something other than cow's milk when it comes time.
Thanks!

Offline LeeLeeMelis

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • My sweet Wesley...
Re: Any other options instead of cow's milk at 12 months?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 00:33:37 am »
I dont have a 12 month old yet but I have heard of moms giving goat milk as an alternative to cows milk. 

Offline Tansy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 00:40:48 am »
Ive heard of mums giving goats milk too, also soy milk....

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 00:57:00 am »
FWIW...Dr Oz said on Oprah that goats milk is far superior to cow's milk in terms of digestibility and allergies.  he said it breaks down much easier in the body.

And if I may...if you consider soy, do some research...there are some concerns with soy, and we ultimately decided against it.  Just "putting that out there"!

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 13:00:34 pm »
Quote (selected)
there are some concerns with soy, and we ultimately decided against it.  Just "putting that out there"!

can you let us know what the concerns are? I have just been diagnosed with a cow's milk intolerance and have switched to soy as goat's milk tastes like evil. Am pretty sure dd is the same so would be helpful to know some more info
thanks
]

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 01:27:41 am »
Well, what we learned is that *some* studies have shown that soy might interfere with reproduction. It is so early to tell long-term, but basically the high levels of plant estrogen in the soy plant can be mistaken by the body as "regular" (human) estrogen.  When the body detects high levels, it stops manufacturing enough estrogen for itself.  This was all in the very early stages of research when we were thinking about it, but it was enough for us to decide not to do it.

I'm sure you could fimd a ton of people who would disagree with all of the above, but again, to each his own choice.

The goats milk was that bad, huh? Oprah drank it for the first time ever on tv, and she said it wasn't too bad. Maybe it's like soy in that it depends on the brand? My dh will occasionally drink soy, but only 8th Continents, he says the rest are gross.  Maybe try another brand??   :-\