Author Topic: homemade rusks  (Read 6421 times)

Offline Clemster

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
homemade rusks
« on: March 19, 2009, 04:43:09 am »
hi there, I remember seeing ages a go a resipe on here for rusks, have done a search but it doesn't seem to appear.  Can anyone please tell me the recipe or recommend a good brand of rusks in Australia, I believe the majority of commercially available ones have sugar in them which I would prefer to avoid.

Thanks for this.

Offline louiemum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 08:12:06 am »
Hi THere - I'm in New Zealand and this recipe was given by our childcare (plunket) nurse:

Homemade Rusk:
Cut white or wholemeal bread into fingers around 3-4 cm thick.   Melt 1/4 tsp of vegemite or marmite in 1 tbs boiling water and brush on bread.  Bake in a hot (180 c) oven until well toasted.  You can also add grated cheese (here recommended over 7 months).  If baby doesn't like vegemite just make plain....   

HTH  :)

Offline Clemster

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: homemade rusks
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 02:23:05 am »
ok, I will give that a go, the recipe I remember was flour and baking powder and bake twice and all of that sort of malarkey, but this does sound easier - it's Annabel Karmel isn't it?  Bought a mouli on her books recommendation, took it back to the shop as it wasn't working very well, I had set it up upside down, next time I want to a pea recipe it will be much easier to use it rather than shelling the individaul peas like I had to do last time!