Author Topic: 6 mo. old won't eat!  (Read 956 times)

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
6 mo. old won't eat!
« on: April 04, 2009, 13:34:49 pm »
Hi! I'm trying to get my 6 mo old on solid food and he will not even open his mouth!
Some background:
We started him on rice cereal as per our dr recommendation at 5 mo old (he was a big boy, already 19 pounds, and the breast milk alone was not sustaining him). I added breast milk, and he seemed to enjoy it at first. He never ate a lot, just a tablespoon or so. For convenience sake, I bought a rice cereal that was "just add water" - BIG mistake. Had to take lo to the ER as he broke out in hives all over his face and hands, turns out the cereal had skim milk powder in it and he's allergic to it. So I switched to an organic soy free, milk free rice cereal, but now he won't eat at all! I've tried sweet potato, carrots, squash, pears, peaches, and bananas. I'm lucky to get him to open his mouth up for one bite! It's clamped shut, head turned away, even fussing! I've been trying solids 1 hr after bfs.
Any ideas??
Thanks!
Vikki
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline frano

• Showing Appreciation 18
  • Oh look .....shoes!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 13:44:03 pm »
Hugs hugs xxx

Would you try some finger food in one of those net bag things to get him used to the different flavours? Then gradually try and give him some off spoon? The other thing is try not to stress too much when he refuses, go by his cues and if he doesn't want it leave him and try again at next meal time. You don't want him to asocciate food with a neg experience iykwim. I'm sure some of the other ladies will have some sound advice for you. Good luck , keep us posted

Offline woopster

• Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
Re: 6 mo. old won't eat!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 17:23:28 pm »
Milk is still the main source of nutrition at this age. Any solids are just to get him used to different tastes and textures.
Does he eat with you? I would just put some food on his tray while you are eating and let him help himself. Don't comment at all on anything he eats or leaves. The more you stress about food the less he will eat.
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
Re: 6 mo. old won't eat!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 17:35:44 pm »
Also, you could see if he would take it if offered before a milk feed, b/c he would be hungry enough for anything??? But really as long as he is drinking his breastmilk/formula he should be fine. also, our ped said we could try oatmeal and barley cereals. maybe the tastes of them would be preferable? or if you get a watered down baby juice, try making the cereal with that?

not sure, good luck.

Offline Mimi 2

• Showing Appreciation 167
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 17:49:56 pm »
Hi Vikki,

I agree with Woopster.  If he is not willing to try right now, then wait a few more weeks and try again.  In the mean time just sit him with you when you eat and offer him little bits of finger food for him to play with.  Eventually he will be curious and have a taste.  Treat this time as an Activity in the EASY routine. 

I wouldn't recommend offer him juice at this age.  Remember that bm/formula is still more important than solids.  Follow his lead and he will have good associations about food.
Cherishing the moments with the
Ballerina Princess (Oct '04) & Wiggly Monkey (Jul '07)