Author Topic: Boosting the calorie content of homemade baby food  (Read 3087 times)

Offline hemz80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • Hema - Mummy to three gorgeous babies
Boosting the calorie content of homemade baby food
« on: May 23, 2009, 21:18:12 pm »
Hi....

Was wondering if anyone had ideas for boosting the calorie content of homemade baby foods??  Pure fruits and vegs are great but i worry that dd will fall short on her calorie intake.. especially as the volume of her milk goes down  ???

Hema  ;D

Offline Mimi 2

• Showing Appreciation 167
Re: Boosting the calorie content of homemade baby food
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 23:44:05 pm »
How much milk is she taking right now?  How much solids?  What are the solids?  Right now, you really don't want her milk intake to decrease as there is so much more than just the calories that she needs for growth.  Her milk intake should still be roughly the same as before solids at her age.  Most moms add healthy fats (avocado, olive oil, salmon, full fat yogurt/diary, etc) to help increase the calories.  However please remember that there is more to formula/bm than just calories content.

:)
Cherishing the moments with the
Ballerina Princess (Oct '04) & Wiggly Monkey (Jul '07)

Offline hemz80

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 12:53:09 pm »
She's having around two/ three tbsp puree... fruits/ vegs three times a day, an hour after milk feeds.  She's bf and is still interested in her feeds just thinking ahead really.  Do you know anymore about added oils to foods?  Olive oil, flaxseed etc??

Offline Mimi 2

• Showing Appreciation 167
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 13:51:13 pm »
Olive oil is best added uncooked, that is don't cook or use it in cooking as the heat will decrease it's nutritional value.  I'm not quite familiar with which oil (flaxseed, fish, sesame, vegetable, soy, peanut, etc) is most beneficial for a lo at this age but overall the oil is used to fatten the lo up.   The most important oils for a lo are DHA (in bm) and ARA (body converts this from regular fats) which is for infant brain growth and eye and nerve development. 

Overall, don't worry about adding any extra fats into her diet unless her dr suggests it.  Los comes in different sizes.  As long as she is energetic, active and developing "normally" then body size doesn't matter. 

Cherishing the moments with the
Ballerina Princess (Oct '04) & Wiggly Monkey (Jul '07)

Offline hemz80

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 19:17:12 pm »
Thank you, that's really helpful x

Offline parmar1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 20:53:57 pm »
Hi there..
I just wanted to add - dont worry...as long as your LO is getting a varied amount of solids and is still feeding well, then I dont think there is any need to add more fats to increase calories...
My LO is tiny for an almost 9 month old, (she was a premmie baby) plus I am petite myself, so I dont expect my LO to be chubby or anything...however, I know she is well as she is so active and is a content little minx...she also loves her food...

By the way, your LO is soooooo cute

x

Offline hemz80

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 21:16:01 pm »
Thank you... she is petit but so am I. DH is a little anxious about homemade baby foods and thinks i should use Jars as they're more nutritionally balanced.  Personally i think jar food is horrible, and tastes vile!  Fresh food is far more nutrious and tastes good too.  Just don't want to give him an excuse to fuel his ideas!